Cobalts SS banner

SS vs Previous Gen. Mustang GT

10K views 67 replies 23 participants last post by  Sean 
#1 ·
Now people I know we can beat these because I've done research on all the stats, but my friends swear that they'll get us. I personally have not had the oppurtunity to race one but I'd like to know ya'lls input. To me they seem like easy dinner, mainly because they're ford and ford sucks. I can't wait til one pulls up next to me. Tell them to do somethin! :p

#4 ·
TrickySS said:
I guess so I hope when I get next to one, that i'm the better driver. Even for a ford, those things sound and look nice. Well made but for the title and history of that name it should be way more powerful.
i hope i will be the better driver the day i race one as well. i have beaten the 94-95 style one that still had the weak 215hp 5.0l and smoked him. i agree the do sound awesome. i had an 89 5.0 with exhaust and i loved the sound. i agree they should be more powerful but look at them now. they are way more powerful than they used to be. i wouldnt even think about messin with a new gt.

#5 ·
TrickySS said:
Now people I know we can beat these because I've done research on all the stats, but my friends swear that they'll get us. I personally have not had the oppurtunity to race one but I'd like to know ya'lls input. To me they seem like easy dinner, mainly because they're ford and ford sucks. I can't wait til one pulls up next to me. Tell them to do somethin! :p
tricky i assume you are speakng of the 99 - 04 Mustangs. I don't know what research or stats you looked at, but the 99-04 gt is faster then the cobalt ss stock vs stock. In fact it's a decent amount faster. Fastest stock gt is around 13.8-13.9 which most people obviously dont get but whats the fastest stock cobalt? 14.4 or so. i mean the gt has about a half second advantage over the cobalt. so i think you need to redo your research and stop saying that they should be more powerful when they are already more powerful then your car is stock.

#6 ·
TrickySS said:
To me they seem like easy dinner, mainly because they're ford and ford sucks.
Ignorance at its finest.

5spdBlack said:
tricky i assume you are speakng of the 99 - 04 Mustangs. I don't know what research or stats you looked at, but the 99-04 gt is faster then the cobalt ss stock vs stock. In fact it's a decent amount faster. Fastest stock gt is around 13.8-13.9 which most people obviously dont get but whats the fastest stock cobalt? 14.4 or so. i mean the gt has about a half second advantage over the cobalt. so i think you need to redo your research and stop saying that they should be more powerful when they are already more powerful then your car is stock.
What you're not including are 60' times. Cobalts will run 14.4 with a 2.2 or 2.3 60'. Those mustang GT's need a 1.9 60' to run in the HIGH 13's. Give the Cobalt a 1.9 60' and the 1/4 times will be almost identicle.

Point being, unless the GT is luanching hard on a prepped surface, a Cobalt should be able to run with or even beat one. Especially from a roll.

#7 ·
TrickySS said:
To me they seem like easy dinner, mainly because they're ford and ford sucks. I can't wait til one pulls up next to me. Tell them to do somethin! :p
yes great statement. You just showed me how much you know right there. Please pull up to a new gt or 03,04 cobra (even an 01)and tell me how much they suck when you can barely make out their talelights.

99-04 gts aren't that fast. I took them with np when i was stock. Though cobalts are slow so it might be more of an even race. Why not race him and find out?

#8 ·
My friend and i have had a go at it, he pulled on me (and not by very much, maybe a half a car lenght) but he also has exhaust, CAI, and throttle body spacer. Stock for stock i think it would be a very even race.
Oh and i have heard of SS getting 14.1's in the quarter mile. Like all cars it depends on the altitude and the driver

#10 ·
I raced my old mans 05 (flowmaster exhaust only mod) from a dig a couple of times... By 105-110 he had like 5-6 car lengths on me ... I had only had the car a week or something like that and kept hitting the rev limiter... but his car is WAY WAY Faster... Oh ya and I might suck at drag racing or whatever... But I assure you... HE REALLY SUCKS and still woopd me pretty good !

#12 ·
LeadPipe said:
yes great statement. You just showed me how much you know right there. Please pull up to a new gt or 03,04 cobra (even an 01)and tell me how much they suck when you can barely make out their talelights.

99-04 gts aren't that fast. I took them with np when i was stock. Though cobalts are slow so it might be more of an even race. Why not race him and find out?

who said anything about a 390hp 03-04 cobra?

#15 ·
Exactly and notice everyone that I put previous Generation GT, not 05. I feel Cobalts are a lot stronger than some of you wanna think, maybe I just get big headed and want my car to beat everything. But Mustang GT's are nothin if cobalts are as close as they are, we do have little 4 cylinders and a small supercharger(still packs heat), and my bad I redid my research and found out that was a 98 mustang then again my man hear just backed my story up with him beating one. Thanx man! :cool:

#16 ·
Bring the Cobra vs the new Z06 what now step down and stay down, and if you think about bringin out that little Ford GT with 500 hp, we also got the Lingenfelter 800hp Twin Turbo once again step down and stay down. Raise your hand when you wanna talk to me.

#18 ·
my buddies 03 GT beat my radline by slightly under 1 car length. I had him 2/3 of the way down the track and then he inched by me.

#19 ·
Calm down b rabbit, this isn't a freestyle contest.

A you have to respect what ford brings to the table. a car with 390hp and for 31k. Its funny how chevy has to bring out a fucking 7.0 liter engine to make 500 hp. Btw you're saying lingenfelter which is aftermarket. Its basicaly a whole different car when you buy the 50k + lingenfleter package.

#20 ·
LeadPipe said:
Its funny how chevy has to bring out a fucking 7.0 liter engine to make 500 hp.
I'm sorry maybe I missed the part about Fords 500 hp engine? Oh the 5.4 liter with the giant twin screw supercharger! So is it funny that ford had to use FI to do it? I personally don't think so but I thought I would bring it up since you had some desparaging remarks about the ls7.

#21 ·
clownhair said:
I'm sorry maybe I missed the part about Fords 500 hp engine? Oh the 5.4 liter with the giant twin screw supercharger! So is it funny that ford had to use FI to do it? I personally don't think so but I thought I would bring it up since you had some desparaging remarks about the ls7.
especially since the chevy is still a pushrod engine. the ford with a 5.4l supercharged ohc engine should be making the same power as the chevy NA pushrod if not more.

#23 ·
FWIW, I'll provide a couple real-life 99-04 GT times:

2001 GT (my friend's)
5-speed
BONE STOCK
80's w/ high humidity

2.1 60'
14.1@98-99

2001 GT (mine)
5-speed
Exhaust
90 w/ high humidity

2.2 60'
14.2@100

Even w/ not-so-good launches and crappy weather conditions, both cars ran low 14's near or at 100mph. Even without better launches, if we had better conditions at the time of these runs, both cars would have been dang close, if not into, the 13's.

Oh, and my dad drove the car next... 2.25 60' and missed a gear.... 14.5

I'd say the GT is the faster car, but depending on the launch, driving, and Mustang's transmission, it could go either way... I might even give the SS an edge over an Auto GT from a roll.

#24 ·
I like the new z06. I think its a beast. What i don't like is the ignoarant attitude towards fords, when clearly they have come out with beasts themselves. But obviously this is a chevy board so theres gonna be some of that.

and the gt and ss will be a drivers race

#25 ·
Blainestang said:
FWIW, I'll provide a couple real-life 99-04 GT times:

2001 GT (my friend's)
5-speed
BONE STOCK
80's w/ high humidity

2.1 60'
14.1@98-99

2001 GT (mine)
5-speed
Exhaust
90 w/ high humidity

2.2 60'
14.2@100

Even w/ not-so-good launches and crappy weather conditions, both cars ran low 14's near or at 100mph. Even without better launches, if we had better conditions at the time of these runs, both cars would have been dang close, if not into, the 13's.

Oh, and my dad drove the car next... 2.25 60' and missed a gear.... 14.5

I'd say the GT is the faster car, but depending on the launch, driving, and Mustang's transmission, it could go either way... I might even give the SS an edge over an Auto GT from a roll.
People in Florida always seem to net better times than most for some reason, closer to sea level maybe? I can honestly say that out of about the 100 or so times I have been to the track there has never been a stock 99-03 gt run a 13.anything. They are usually cutting mid 14's around here. There was a guy running MT drag radials as his only mod cutting 14.1's last time out. He was a cool guy too came up and talked to me a bit. I told him to get some gears on his car and tear it up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.