Cobalts SS banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on my way to ship out a package to a customer, when I cruise by a type-s. All of a sudden he speeds up to my back bumper and sits there a minute, then he speeds up beside me. I heard him downshift, and kept cruising next to me. So I downshifted 2nd, and we were off (started at 50mph). I pulled on him pretty easily, to my suprise. By the time I reached 70mph, i was already 3 cars ahead, and pulling more. So I slowed down, thinking maybe he quite racing real quick. I heard him downshift again, and so did I. We started again at 50mph. This time, though he got the jump, and I didn't even hit the gas until he was about 1.5 cars ahead. And when i did, same story, I walked him pretty steadily. I knew he was racing cuz as i was passing him, i heard his engine screaming. i shut down about 80mph, and was again about 3 cars ahead. After the race,his window went down, and saw the kid an another guy in the car giving me the thumbs up. They asked how much torque "those things put out", and I told him over 200. Then he said "damn, that thing's got some get up and go." I told him thanks and we parted.

On my way to work later on, I passed an SRT-4 that was stuck in traffic in the lane next to me. After he saw me pass, he actually pulled himself out of traffic to chase me down So he chases me, riding my ass, so I pull over a lane, and I see him pull ahead of me, and i hear a mean sounding "Pssshhh..Pshhhh" wastegate going off. And when his back bumper was near my front, he hit the gas. I tried to catch him, but no way in hell. I think he woulda beat me anyways, but the guy shoulda "manned-up" and at least lined up beseide me before taking off. He had the stock rims, and atock ride height, so i don't know of any mods other than wastegate. It was black, and of course, it was some young kid with his hat sideays driving it So to top it off, he gives me the arrogant "bye bye" wave as he took off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,460 Posts
I don't know why you were "surprised" pulling on the Type~S, they have less HP and way less TRQ.

LOL, the SRT-4 story is funny... bye bye!!!!!! Too bad you guys didn't line it up :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
There's the stereotypical Srt-4 for ya. And it's a blow-off valve so its possible he had stage II or just a BOV. If he dusted you the same way you dusted the Type-S then probably Stage II or highera
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Redline686 said:
There's the stereotypical Srt-4 for ya. And it's a blow-off valve so its possible he had stage II or just a BOV. If he dusted you the same way you dusted the Type-S then probably Stage II or highera
There are alot of mods that could have been on there between BOV and stage 2. The mopar BOV is one of the first mods alot of people get because its cheap and easy so its possible he was stock, BOV is no performance. Also could have had other things that aren't mopar which still equals stage 0, like wastegate, exhuast intake etc. And a lightly modded srt4 could proly pull pretty hard on a stock SS. I know of people who ran a 13.5 with just a wastegate. Anyways not knocking anything you said just pointing this stuff out. Just seemd like a big gap in your sugested mods.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
yeah a stock srt-4 will pull preety hard on an ss come end of there third gear into there 4th but i know what you mean i know one cool kid with an srt cause he's my age (22) all the kids i've met that are younger like 18 and 19 are fucking pricks because they own an srt and are cocky as hell and think there fucking unstopable. They really give the car a bad rep acting they way they do some times. But I guess every car has thoses owners that are tools.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^^ exactly. just like that one kid who posted the video of his SS haning with an STi. Every car has idiot owners that make the car look bad. The srt-4 just has more than most lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Darksun280 said:
yeah a stock srt-4 will pull preety hard on an ss come end of there third gear into there 4th but i know what you mean i know one cool kid with an srt cause he's my age (22) all the kids i've met that are younger like 18 and 19 are fucking pricks because they own an srt and are cocky as hell and think there fucking unstopable. They really give the car a bad rep acting they way they do some times. But I guess every car has thoses owners that are tools.
There are exceptions though. I'm 19 and know my car is slow
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
phxSS said:
^^^ exactly. just like that one kid who posted the video of his SS haning with an STi. Every car has idiot owners that make the car look bad. The srt-4 just has more than most lol

LOL more than you know, he was being torn up in the Suby forums. It's all about logistics, the Evo, 350 z , Sti are all in the 30 k bracket. So most of those drivers are in late 20's , 30's etc. The cheaper srt4 you will find younger guys, that plus the srt4 being fairly quick = oppurtunity to be a [email protected]#[email protected]!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the age group for the 2.0 SS will be mid 20's+ because of the price of the car (pretty much 23-24k with a couple options)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,083 Posts
i think the age bracket is gonna be younger kids who act like asshats cuz their parents bought them a "tuner" car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know. From what I've experienced, people i know that bought srt's got there's cheaper than most can get for the SS. A fully loaded G85 SS is about $25k. A loaded srt is about $22k.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
phxSS said:
I don't know. From what I've experienced, people i know that bought srt's got there's cheaper than most can get for the SS. A fully loaded G85 SS is about $25k. A loaded srt is about $22k.
Theyre actually a lot closer new. You can nab a SS fully loaded with a employee discount for mid-high 23k, or an SRT for 22 like you said (discounted ACR may be a low 23).

The real problem is all the used SRT's rolling around that can be nabbed by teens for 15-18k easy. Or those of us who took them off the lots late in the model year for a good discount.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
Zenkat said:
Theyre actually a lot closer new. You can nab a SS fully loaded with a employee discount for mid-high 23k, or an SRT for 22 like you said (discounted ACR may be a low 23).

The real problem is all the used SRT's rolling around that can be nabbed by teens for 15-18k easy. Or those of us who took them off the lots late in the model year for a good discount.
I do believe it's gonna be awhile before the really young kids can afford the SS, I have seen mutiple used srt's for 15 g's...I got my SS with g85 w/everything other than useless (for me anyway) onstar, for 19,900, of course it was in some little town in kentucky, and I'm Air Force, and I fronted 6000.00 cash, so APR wasn't high...I'm 21 by the way, only other SS's I have seen are driven by late 20's guys, guess that makes me still young, but not near as dumb as some of the drivers I have encountered. Ok, maybe an occasional light to light, but street racing hardcore is for those that wanna die or kill someone else, take it to the track I say...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Next year you'll see "kids" running around in SS/SC's. The first year the SRT-4 was out it was the same, owners were mostly mid-late 20's and older. The 2nd year, more late teen and early 20's owners started showing up, some bought used, some getting deals on "year end close-outs."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,083 Posts
well... i'm 18. my ss/sc costs me far less then i could have gotten an srt-4 for around here. all the dodge dealerships marked them up like crazy. it would have cost nearly 40 grand after a 5 year loan to finance an srt-4 cuz the monthly i got from the stealership was high 600's on a 23k car. my ss is a little above 300/month with a final price of 19,9XX after the employee discount (was originally 23,9XX) and i've got everything except the g85. the srt-4 had the acr package and nothing else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Well i drive a black srt. So i must wear my hat sideways.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
LeadPipe said:
Well i drive a black srt. So i must wear my hat sideways.
ha thats funny oh yeah and nice sig too. But i know for me the srt-4 kids around my way act so damn cocky sometimes and the only thing that shuts them up is when an AWD car comes poking around looking for a dig race then there the most humble people you've ever met. Thats only the stupid youger ones with just a BOV and think there invincible though. The older guys with fast SRT-4's got better things to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
oh yeah i agree. I'm a little cocky as well sometimes. but only against things i know i can beat. Let me put some slicks on and i'll be all over that dig race hahah. Every car has its share of assholes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
LeadPipe said:
oh yeah i agree. I'm a little cocky as well sometimes. but only against things i know i can beat. Let me put some slicks on and i'll be all over that dig race hahah. Every car has its share of assholes.
Yeah i've got to admit I've been a little cocky too but i shut the hell up really quick when im nearing a red light against a car i just beat from a roll but could be a toss up from a dig. ha yeah at least DR's put you srt-4 guys into 13's with out too many problems i think a stock cobalt on average would only get a 14.0 on a really good day with DR. Running 14's at the track means you can still get you cookie's took by most of the cars out there from a dig on the street. Every body run's 14's these days it seems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Darksun280 said:
Yeah i've got to admit I've been a little cocky too but i shut the hell up really quick when im nearing a red light against a car i just beat from a roll but could be a toss up from a dig. ha yeah at least DR's put you srt-4 guys into 13's with out too many problems i think a stock cobalt on average would only get a 14.0 on a really good day with DR. Running 14's at the track means you can still get you cookie's took by most of the cars out there from a dig on the street. Every body run's 14's these days it seems.
Drag radais put a srt 4 deep into the 13s.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top