Cobalts SS banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
the kit has everything. all the mechanic is going to do is call in your vin number and they will get the code to reflash your car and thats it.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
you could find a speed shop where they can reflash the pcm

how does the reflash come cd rom or what

·
Registered
370 Posts
Well if you install them yourself the dealership probebly wont let you keep your warrenty just cause they dont trust your work. But unless you know someone at the dealership that wouldnt care if you did then its all good.

and it doesnt come on a cd rom there is just a code for the 05, 06, and 07 and then they call it in to GM performance to get the reflash for your car with your vin number.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Well if you install them yourself the dealership probebly wont let you keep your warrenty just cause they dont trust your work. But unless you know someone at the dealership that wouldnt care if you did then its all good.

and it doesnt come on a cd rom there is just a code for the 05, 06, and 07 and then they call it in to GM performance to get the reflash for your car with your vin number.
you can install your own stage kit and keep the warrenty...most dealers wont care and they also wont do the searching to look to see if you did it or not.

the ECM reflash normaly costs any wear from $60-$80(normaly $80).

when you take the car in and tell them what you want done you will hand them the paper work that comes with the stage kit...on the frount page it will have a sticker with a code on it...the tech with call the GM tech line and give them that code and your VIN they will then give the tech a VIC number he can then pull the program off GM's private website and reflash your car.

once he gets the VIC number make sure you or him rites it down becase if you ever have an issue and the car needs to be reflashed you will need that VIC number to get the stage tune.

HTH

·
Registered
370 Posts
BUt if they see that you installed it and they know that it voids your warrenty then what happens? I mean do they put it in the computer as no warrenty work on your car and that goes throughout all GM dealers?

·
Registered
478 Posts
BUt if they see that you installed it and they know that it voids your warrenty then what happens? I mean do they put it in the computer as no warrenty work on your car and that goes throughout all GM dealers?

first off by looking at the car they CANT tell if you or they did the install. they would have to look up your cars entire history via your VIN number....most wont waste there time doing so...

i have in the past seen dealers bitch about warrenty even if they do the instal becase they at first will clame its that even tho its GM shit that it voids warrenty....

i've seen some do that untill you print of the GM paperwork about the kit that says otherwise.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
the ECM reflash normaly costs any wear from $60-$80(normaly $80).[/QUOTE said:
is this for the labor or are you paying twice for the reprograming
you buy the pcm recal w/ the kit, shouldnt it be a free install considering there is only one way to do this " through gm dealers only"

it seems like they are charging twice for the same thing :confused:

·
Registered
478 Posts
is this for the labor or are you paying twice for the reprograming
you buy the pcm recal w/ the kit, shouldnt it be a free install considering there is only one way to do this " through gm dealers only"

it seems like they are charging twice for the same thing :confused:
thats what alot of people thought when they first bought it....but NO

you have to pay the dealer for reflashing the car....its real shity!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
anybody contact the BBB yet
yes that is shity

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Yeah really, just the reflash on mine would have been $256, and me do the install. But it costed 390 with them installing. So, I took the bit and let them get their hands dirty.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Yeah really, just the reflash on mine would have been $256, and me do the install. But it costed 390 with them installing. So, I took the bit and let them get their hands dirty.
say what???....the instals are very easy...i would recomend doing them by your self.

the only thing you need is a SC pully remover...

you can rent them from BiletFLow and such...

buying one isnt a bad idea eather...they come in handy.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
im thinking about going intense setup,
because this stage 2 seems to be a rip off

ill do my homework before i buy it, this sucks almost 1000 dollars to do this mod when you buy the LABOR with the kit

since reflashing is only labor

·
Registered
379 Posts
im thinking about going intense setup,
because this stage 2 seems to be a rip off

ill do my homework before i buy it, this sucks almost 1000 dollars to do this mod when you buy the LABOR with the kit

since reflashing is only labor
I agree, it is a pricy setup, but i personally believe the GM stage 2 is FAR from a ripoff. Remember, many guys are gaining .3 to .5 tenths off there quarter mile times while maintaining the factory warranty.

Heck, after my stg 2 install and driving rather "spiritedly" i still average over 28mpg.

So a 1000 dollar mod = a potential 13 second car + warranty + still good gas mileage. Sounds like a good deal to me!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
i have no warr anymore except the pt warr, to 64k
20k to go :(

it really doesnt matter to me i want something that makes me feel like im not paying too much for one thing ( calibration ) but then i havent priced what my dealer would do it for either

just sayn this sucks

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
i have no warr anymore except the pt warr, to 64k
20k to go :(

it really doesnt matter to me i want something that makes me feel like im not paying too much for one thing ( calibration ) but then i havent priced what my dealer would do it for either

just sayn this sucks
the powertrain warranty is the important one to most people.

anyway, there is a labor time for the reflash, since it takes time for a tech to do. i believe there is a book time for the reflash and the dealer is supposed to use that multiplied by the shop rate. if you think you're paying too much for the reflash contact gm to get the book time on it.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
So a 1000 dollar mod = a potential 13 second car + warranty + still good gas mileage. Sounds like a good deal to me! Yeah, not kidding landonelf.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts