Cobalts SS banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knew today was doomed from the start, the weather report all week for michigan is low 70's with the once exception of today in which it actually was 90 degrees out at the track. I get to the track and made a pass with my street tires, lots of spinning and wheel hoppin, I run out first and slam into the rev limiter. I jam it into second and hit 3rd without a problem. Then something happened that never has, I hit the rev limiter in 3rd gear! So I pick up my slip and somehow I cut a 2.115 60 ft with the damn stock tires, the launch felt like crap to me. The time was a [email protected] I thought about making another run to see what I could do without hitting the rev limiter twice but decided to just get right down to business. The drag radials go on and the car is ready to roll. I got the car down pretty well now. I was very consisten throughout the night mostly netting 14.2's. I finally get a run in and am fealing really good about it until I hit the rev limiter in 3rd gear again. DAMN it all!! I goto pick up my timeslip and am shocked to see [email protected] on it. I get pretty excited and figure that I can do better since I hit the limiter again. It never got better.

So a couple things. The car now hits the limiter at the end of 3rd gear with only about 25 feet of the track left. This sucks because I now either cross the traps banging off the limiter or have to shift(which takes time) and use my 4th gear for a grand total of about 10 feet by the time I get it into gear. I already mentioned the weather but it bears repeating that tonights air wasn't very good. Another thing is my clutch is getting weak on me and any launch attemted over 3500 rpms resulted in the clutch slipping. I think for me to get the 1.8 and 1.9 60 ft times I want a better clutch is needed. My favorite run of the night was against an 05 GTO with the ls2 6.0 vr and a 6 speed manual. I got him out the hole and he wasnt able to recover :eek: So yes I beat a GTO!! :D

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KSE said:
Well, you beat the Driver ;)... but a win is a win!!!!!
I'm pretty sure I at least conveyed that in my post :) I know he should have smoked me. Shoot his trap was 6 mph higher than mine. Alls your ever doing in racing is racing the driver though.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
patathSS said:
Nice job clown, look forward to seeing you at Stanton next month!
you coming to m10?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Clown,
Good runs man!!! When I go home to Cincinnati next month I will have to get in touch with you and meet up or something, hopefully there will be more mods out that we can discuss...anyway, I have experienced the same problem with pegging at third right at the end of the 1/4. I managed to get that shift in once, like you allready know to run that 104 trap, but it sux, this new clutch will help alot and then I will be able to make up more time in the beginning and peg out 3rd alot sooner and let 4th gear actually work for me at the end. Well hopefully for more than the 20 ft it's getting me now anyway...my 3rd doesn't peg though until around 103-104, could that just be a speedo issue (i.e. difference in cars) or I'm pretty sure your and my trans's are exactly alike, so I don't know...hmm :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
clownhair said:
I knew today was doomed from the start, the weather report all week for michigan is low 70's with the once exception of today in which it actually was 90 degrees out at the track. I get to the track and made a pass with my street tires, lots of spinning and wheel hoppin, I run out first and slam into the rev limiter. I jam it into second and hit 3rd without a problem. Then something happened that never has, I hit the rev limiter in 3rd gear! So I pick up my slip and somehow I cut a 2.115 60 ft with the damn stock tires, the launch felt like crap to me. The time was a [email protected] I thought about making another run to see what I could do without hitting the rev limiter twice but decided to just get right down to business. The drag radials go on and the car is ready to roll. I got the car down pretty well now. I was very consisten throughout the night mostly netting 14.2's. I finally get a run in and am fealing really good about it until I hit the rev limiter in 3rd gear again. DAMN it all!! I goto pick up my timeslip and am shocked to see [email protected] on it. I get pretty excited and figure that I can do better since I hit the limiter again. It never got better.

So a couple things. The car now hits the limiter at the end of 3rd gear with only about 25 feet of the track left. This sucks because I now either cross the traps banging off the limiter or have to shift(which takes time) and use my 4th gear for a grand total of about 10 feet by the time I get it into gear. I already mentioned the weather but it bears repeating that tonights air wasn't very good. Another thing is my clutch is getting weak on me and any launch attemted over 3500 rpms resulted in the clutch slipping. I think for me to get the 1.8 and 1.9 60 ft times I want a better clutch is needed. My favorite run of the night was against an 05 GTO with the ls2 6.0 vr and a 6 speed manual. I got him out the hole and he wasnt able to recover :eek: So yes I beat a GTO!! :D
When are you going to dyno your car? With the drag radials? Maybe you can figure out new/better shift points instead of redline. Also so you can maybe stretch 3rd out longer or use more of 4th. Or can you fit a taller tire?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Damn clownhair, you're getting close! We're trying again Friday night. The drag radials will be here on Friday, and as soon as they get off the UPS truck they're going on the car! So the list now is 3.25" pulley, Cooling Mist Water injection with 1.5 qts Methanol added to the mix, .038 nitrous jet, and drag radials. The car went [email protected] with the pulley and a .036 jet. We added the water injection and I decided to increase the meth mix to add a little more fuel for the larger .038 jet. I know it might eat the coating on the rotors, but we also mixed in some top end lube with the added alcohol. So we're hoping for that 13.XX. I have a question, in your other post you said you're running 18 psi in the BFGs, have you tried dropping it down further? Like 15 or 14? I run 15 in my Mickey ET radials on the 28 and they love it. Also, how do the BFGs take to burnouts? I know the mickeys love a big burnout and I was figuring having him burn his for at least 6 seconds for the first pass to make sure there is plenty heat in the tires. And we've noticed the weak stock clutch on these cars too. Definitely next on Frankie's list.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wasey13 said:
When are you going to dyno your car? With the drag radials? Maybe you can figure out new/better shift points instead of redline. Also so you can maybe stretch 3rd out longer or use more of 4th. Or can you fit a taller tire?
I have dynoed before and it would appear the best place to stay in the powerband would be to shift as near redline as possible. As soon as I burn up the current tires I am going to try and get a different size. I would actually like to get into 4th faster.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
05YELLOWSS said:
my 3rd doesn't peg though until around 103-104, could that just be a speedo issue (i.e. difference in cars) or I'm pretty sure your and my trans's are exactly alike, so I don't know...hmm :rolleyes:
woah somethings amiss here. Mine definately does not go to 103 since I was trapping 97-98 and the limiter was blipping. What are the gear ratios in the CSS?

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
clownhair said:
I have dynoed before and it would appear the best place to stay in the powerband would be to shift as near redline as possible. As soon as I burn up the current tires I am going to try and get a different size. I would actually like to get into 4th faster.
So not as tall a tire(I think) :p . Where you making your peak torque? And when you shift where do your RPMs drop to? You dynoed with your current wheels and tires? And any reason why you guys aren't runnin slicks?

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
clownhair said:
woah somethings amiss here. Mine definately does not go to 103 since I was trapping 97-98 and the limiter was blipping. What are the gear ratios in the CSS?
Different sized wheels/tires? Same exact trannies.

·
Registered
140 Posts
wasey13 said:
So not as tall a tire(I think) :p . Where you making your peak torque? And when you shift where do your RPMs drop to? You dynoed with your current wheels and tires? And any reason why you guys aren't runnin slicks?
Because slicks aren't street legal, and our goal is to get the car to run a 13 in a street environment with a "street" setup. Because we do majority of racing on the street for small time cash. He hasn't cashed in yet because we had problems with the stock rubber at our road.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If you really are that close to the line when 3rd runs out, you may try watching the RPM in 3rd & then just lifting off the gas slightly when you get close to the limiter. Stay off the limiter and keep the RPM up, it'll turn a quicker ET than shifting into 4th... although shifting into 4th would likely net you a faster trap.

Also what drag radials are you using? Sounds like your DR's are a little smaller than your street tires, which would account for the discrepancy in the speedo vs trap speed time (also remember that trap is the average speed over the last 60' of the track and not the true speed @ the finish line).

·
Registered
168 Posts
The gear ratios are the same in the redline and CSS. the rims and tires are different sizes.
I have researched this several times, and come to the conclusion(sp?) that its the tires and rim size difference.

·
Registered
81 Posts
WOLFEMAN1981 said:
The gear ratios are the same in the redline and CSS. the rims and tires are different sizes.
I have researched this several times, and come to the conclusion(sp?) that its the tires and rim size difference.
Thats weird I thought that too but I met a kid with a redline with cold air, exhaust, and short throw and his 2nd gear can't get him to 65 like mine he gets to 60-61 and his 3rd only gets hime to 96-98 mine gets me to 100. He also says his cars bangs off the limiter at 6100 rpms where mines bangs off around 6400 rpms. Maybe its the pcm? Well where both going to the track together on sunday will compare trap times and shift points again then.

·
Registered
347 Posts
05YELLOWSS said:
Clown,
Good runs man!!! When I go home to Cincinnati next month I will have to get in touch with you and meet up or something, hopefully there will be more mods out that we can discuss...anyway, I have experienced the same problem with pegging at third right at the end of the 1/4. I managed to get that shift in once, like you allready know to run that 104 trap, but it sux, this new clutch will help alot and then I will be able to make up more time in the beginning and peg out 3rd alot sooner and let 4th gear actually work for me at the end. Well hopefully for more than the 20 ft it's getting me now anyway...my 3rd doesn't peg though until around 103-104, could that just be a speedo issue (i.e. difference in cars) or I'm pretty sure your and my trans's are exactly alike, so I don't know...hmm :rolleyes:

What clutch are you going with as i am too having the same problems? :eek:

·
Banned
50 Posts
Definetely get a shorter tire. Use up all of 3rd and make it so you can bang fourth right before you enter the speed trap. Sounds like you guys really need some tuning software that can modify the rev limiter.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Rich said:
Definetely get a shorter tire. Use up all of 3rd and make it so you can bang fourth right before you enter the speed trap. Sounds like you guys really need some tuning software that can modify the rev limiter.
Actually I would say get a taller tire. Make it so that you don't have to shift 1 more time. M&H makes a 26x6x15" slick; they also make a 26x6x15" DOT slick.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts