Cobalts SS banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone on this board have any idea what the stock internals are capable of handling? (talking about the SC 2L engine)

·
Registered
509 Posts
Man i thought it was 349 3/4!!! wuah wuah wuahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
The stock internals can handle that much wow im amazed i dont have one of these cars yet but i am purchasing one soon and its good to know that it can handle that much so it should be a car that wqill last a while.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Have there been any magazines out yet that have broken down the Ecotec SS/SC engine yet? I know two mags did it with the 2.4L SRT-4 motor. I love those technical, no bullshit/fanboi nitty-gritty articles. Learn a lot from those. Especially with all the pics.
Post links, bitte!

·
Registered
59 Posts
HEY HEY!! You're selling it way short. It's VALIDATED to 350 hp, meaning that it can attain that level and stock functionality is not affected.

It's probably capable of over 500 hp, and it's only a matter of time until someone does it.

Forged crank, forged pistons, piston squirters, sodium-filled exhaust valves...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you have to keep in mind they built this engine for forced induction...of course the stock internals are going to be able to handle a shit load of hp. I just was wondering how much they rated it at. I wouldn't say over 500 hp, but...y'know we have our own opinions. 400 sounds more realistic to me.

·
Registered
492 Posts
bzboarder17 said:
you have to keep in mind they built this engine for forced induction...of course the stock internals are going to be able to handle a shit load of hp. I just was wondering how much they rated it at. I wouldn't say over 500 hp, but...y'know we have our own opinions. 400 sounds more realistic to me.
Hitthecones is a GM engineer. He posts sparingly, but accordingly. He among with other of his coworkers are building a Redline up for SCCA racing, and I think they know their stuff. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Blue04RedLine said:
Hitthecones is a GM engineer. He posts sparingly, but accordingly. He among with other of his coworkers are building a Redline up for SCCA racing, and I think they know their stuff. :rolleyes:

lol until you test the block for what it can handle it's based on opinion...I'm sure he does know what he's talking about. Thanks anyway lol

·
Registered
509 Posts
lololollolololol

·
Banned
65 Posts
selfinfliction said:
forgive me for the nooBism but wtf is a "piston squirter" and are those things on my car? <ss/sc>
Piston squirters, are there not just for engine lubrication, but for heat transfer. Pistons & rings take a hell of a beating in forced induction motors, and the squirters, keep it well lubed & take heat from the piston it self. There on 2JZGTE motors(supra), srt, 4G63(evo), and I guess in the eco tech SS. What do you think keeps them pistons alive, when the exhaust gas temps are hot enough to melt aluminuim???? Oil cooling bath, from the piston squiters. It's like the old science trick where you take a dollar bill, & use it to hold up a copper tube, then hold it in the candle's flame, whola dollar won't catch fire. :eek: :cool: Just don't push it! Wheres my blowtorch!!! :D

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
thanks for clearing up that mess for us lol.... this is the first i had ever heard of them, but it's also the first boosted vehicle me or anyone in my family has owned

·
Registered
509 Posts
Now this is good info :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sheesh, I didn't know that anyone noticed that... :)

Anyway, the big purpose of the squirters is to allow more spark advance. Cooling the area will allow the timing to advance, which will increase HP and move the fat part of the HP in the RPM range a little higher. That's the main idea behind them, and this is usually reserved for high end engines. Our new Supercharged Northstar (LC3) has them as well, and it's 4.4L makes 469 hp in the STS-V.

That all said, our car is stock except for a larger diameter exhaust. This is due to our desire to run in a particular race class. Otherwise, we would build an animal like Ecotec.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts