Cobalts SS banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone removed the muffler and just ran a straight pipe? I was wondering what that might sound like. The srt-4 does not have mufflers right? they sound so awesome stock. I know they wont sound anything alike but im ineterested in removing the muffler.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Only one way to find out. As to the SRT-4, they do exhale through a turbo and that provides a substantail muffling quality.

My guess is that a CSS without a muffler will sound horrible.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Heh yeah, I had a guy in what appeared to be about a 92 Sunbird try to race me the other day. He had his exhaust cut off right after the cat, no muffler. I could see it hanging down under the car.

I wouldn't describe the sound as "good". :)

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
DanM said:
Heh yeah, I had a guy in what appeared to be about a 92 Sunbird try to race me the other day. He had his exhaust cut off right after the cat, no muffler. I could see it hanging down under the car.

I wouldn't describe the sound as "good". :)
But we're not talking about a 92 sunbird are we?

Nor are we talking about an LS1, which is the best sounding engine w/o an exhaust, period. IMHO, of course. JM2C.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Goofyguy had removed even just the resonator, and hated the sound. He described it as somehting like a stock honda with a 4 inch muffler. Loud, raspy, and annoying he called it. He put a resonator back on, 24 inches long, 3inch in/out. Now he says it sounds awesome.

·
Registered
153 Posts
KSE said:
But we're not talking about a 92 sunbird are we?

Nor are we talking about an LS1, which is the best sounding engine w/o an exhaust, period. IMHO, of course. JM2C.
No, were not. But a 4 pot without an exhaust... not a nice sound in general. :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
a friend on mine has a tc cobalt and had the muffler cut off and added a straight pipe welded. Its sounds great and is only loud when he gets on it. definetly worth it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Isn't that the famous "muffler delete" mod that everyone's doing?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I deleted my muffler and added a straight pipe. It sounds great. Its deffinatly worth it. I'll post a picture later. Havn't had any cops f*#k with me
for the exhaust being too loud.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I like how mine sounds. Really throaty and pretty loud. For the price I paid to do it (zero), it was well worth the money =)

I made a thread a while back with some pics

1 - 14 of 14 Posts