Cobalts SS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found a source for the special socket for the "double-D" head bolts that attach the strut housing to the spindle? I tried to break the bolt loose with a 15mm open-end wrench and the bolts are just torqued too tight. I'm sure they would come right out using a 3/8 inch impact wrench with the correct socket.

Mike

·
Registered
155 Posts
If it's like every other car GM puts struts on (I'm sure it is) you just have to take off the nut on the other side, then drive out the stud. It's splined, don't worry about using anything on that "head" to hold it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip, I'll try it again next weekend when I can put it up on the rack again. I suppose the factory shop manual provides this information, but I haven't received mine yet.

Mike

·
Registered
155 Posts
The factory manual will probably tell you to order special tools. Bah on that.

·
Registered
155 Posts
potatoe said:
Yup take off the 21 mm nut of the bolt and give it a tap with the air hammer.
Just hit it with a regular hammer, it'll pop out no problem. Real hammers are more fun anyway. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dan Richards said:
Just hit it with a regular hammer, it'll pop out no problem. Real hammers are more fun anyway. :D
I got the bolts out with the ol' c-clamp and socket trick. Unfortunately the camber bolts I ordered were not in the package I received via Fed-Ex. When I opened the package (silly plastic air-bubble bag) the only thing in the bag was a Jeg's catalog, two decals and the crushed box that originally contaned the bolts. I suppose the bolts are rolling around in the back of a Fed-Ex truck somewhere in the country. Jeg's promised to get me another set of bolts shipped overnight. Oh well, back on the lift again this weekend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts