Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty interesting story actually. Met this kid at a gas station with a SubWRX [not sti] modded. Started domestic hating the Cobalt SS i was filling with premium. Challenged me to a drag on the highway.

We were going about 55mph when he did the [honk honk honk GO!] thing. he was PWNED when i dropped from 5th to 4th and the SC kicked up to 12lbs of boost. Got ahead of him a good 3 car lengths and blinkered over into his lane to be funny.

Anyway that wasnt the funny part. I got off at the next exit and he was PISSED! Kept saying "wtf did you mod on yours" etc.. haha, fool. He challeneged me to a drag on the straight behind the movie theater here.

He got me in first gear [he had a better launch] then as soon as i pounded second, he was reading lights.

Just thought id share a war story. any others?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Nunother said:
Pretty interesting story actually. Met this kid at a gas station with a SubWRX [not sti] modded. Started domestic hating the Cobalt SS i was filling with premium. Challenged me to a drag on the highway.

We were going about 55mph when he did the [honk honk honk GO!] thing. he was PWNED when i dropped from 5th to 4th and the SC kicked up to 12lbs of boost. Got ahead of him a good 3 car lengths and blinkered over into his lane to be funny.

Anyway that wasnt the funny part. I got off at the next exit and he was PISSED! Kept saying "wtf did you mod on yours" etc.. haha, fool. He challeneged me to a drag on the straight behind the movie theater here.

He got me in first gear [he had a better launch] then as soon as i pounded second, he was reading lights.

Just thought id share a war story. any others?

sorry but i gotta call the bs flag. u droped it into 4th at 55 mph???

·
Registered
80 Posts
I believe it.

Light tires/Short shifter/and an intake aren't goinn to blast anyone out of the water. I know he never said what was the mods on the WRX, but being modded doesn't have to be all out or for you Supra guys BPU++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++'ed.

The WRX is rocket in 1st/2nd gear after that it sort of falls on its face.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I need to test drive ona' these little SS's.

·
Registered
15 Posts
dres said:
sorry but i gotta call the bs flag. u droped it into 4th at 55 mph???
Yeah, what's the gearing like in the SS's. I know the SRT and the SS isn't the same car, but they're rather close. 55mph is at the top end of second on my car. I could see dropping into 4th and still winning ( ;) ), but third gear hurts feelings.

-Jack

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
Someone said the SS will nearly touch 70 in second gear but that it was very near the redline to do so! Prolly shoulda dropped it in 3rd, then you'da really wasted him!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
man these lil things move. i can't wait to race one in my turbo dsm. mayb i will race my bro in law when he gets his next month.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
you can throw up the bs flag and believe what u want, doesnt change that it happened. Next your going to tell me that i didnt kill a Eclipse with a stock turbo.

Fact is that these cars are quick. Ask your local driver if you dont have one yourself, im sure he would be happy to show you.

Transmission Type - SS Supercharged- specific five-speed manual with overdrive
RPO - MM5

Gear ratios
First gear 4.05
Second gear 2.02
Third gear 1.35
Fourth gear 0.98
Fifth gear 0.69
Reverse 3.31
Final drive ratios 3.94
Case material - aluminum

I wasn't beating it up by slamming it into 3rd cause i didnt want the gear layback when you downshift to far. That and I still baby it :)

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Well i would belive it because WRX's are not know to be fast top wise just that 0-60 is nuts for a WRX you got to take in the fact that a AWD car will lose ALOT of power in the differentails(spelling :confused: sorry) but any way that is one factor the SS's has not to worry about. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
was cruzing on the highway in 5th, i could have dropped it into 3rd and not 4th, but i wouldnt try second. If i would have gotten it to 3rd insted of 4th he probably wouldnt have wanted to race me again from a stop. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
do what i do to ignorant people tell him "There must be something wrong with your car cause I usually get crushed by those" Picture him at the dealership telling them he got beat by a cobalt and the dealership trying to figure out what's wrong.lol.

·
Banned
200 Posts
tomt5078 said:
I would have to see it to believe it! The fastest I've seen a WRX was 10.2 in the 1/4 mile!!!
Yeah and the fastest I've seen a stock bodied LS1 f-body and fox body mustang was high 7's. Whats your point??

·
Registered
259 Posts
the WRX was on the stock turbo... they are know to fall on their face after a certain rpms. but when the snails are swapped its another story...

and save that awd and no top end story... i know a few AWD cars they have some very nice top end

1 - 20 of 106 Posts