Cobalts SS banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I'm trying to get these holders kicked off. I've been working on this for the last year researching California laws (see below). I'll accept money orders or payments via pay pal . All orders will be at $25.00 each. I'll give a good deal to guys who order 2 holders or more.

As for the Law. In California the jam will be the fact that the holder can "swing" out of view (Photo Enforcement ). I took a poll of fellow police officer opinions regarding the holder. Most say that they wouldn't write a cite if it was in view. I even had a Sgt. who said that he would sign off a cite with the holder. As for CHP/Traffic/Motorcycle officers it's a case by case basis with these guys.

The cool part is thats it's "almost" (able to meet most elements of code except one) legal. It's just the "Swing thing". I also found out that officers interperted the 5200 CVC section in different ways. Some thought it had to be affixed to a front bumper, "No it needs to be attached to the front of the vehicle". Some thought my holder was over 60 inches, "No its approx 46 inches from the ground". Then it's the swing out of view issue, "I told them isn't that an interpretation issue." They responded, "You're probably right". I'm not going down easy and I will continue to research this to see if I can get around the 5200 section. For my test guy who will attempt to get his cite signed off using the holder, let me know the results.

I'm mostly looking out for guys with no front plate and a plate wedged between the window and dash. It looks alot better and you stand a good chance of not getting jamed by cops with this holder in view. If you have nothing you're free game for the hunt. If you currently have a front plate and want to remove it to use my holder, It's a call "YOU" have to make. I can't tell you it's all good until I see how officers on the street will react. It will not hurt to tell them it was designed by a cop .

Can you still get a ticket with this holder? "Yes". Do you stand a better chance of NOT getting a ticket using this holder? "Yes". Do you stand a better chance of a judge "possibly dismissing" your ticket using this holder? "Yes"

I'm not going to lie to you guys to make a sale. If you want one PM me......L8SHIFT

CALIFORNIA VEHICLE CODE SECTION 5200-5206
5200. (a) When two license plates are issued by the department for
use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which
they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.
(b) When only one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle,
it shall be attached to the rear thereof, unless the license plate is
issued for use upon a truck tractor, in which case the license plate
shall be displayed in accordance with Section 4850.5.

5201. License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the
vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from
swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible,
and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible.
The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor
more than 60 inches from the ground, and the front license plate
shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
KSE said:
KSE apologizes and wished his posts deleted... CoBIZZLE

if they think they'll get tickets then don't buy it, it's pretty simple. i could care less honestly about it hanging down because i will leave it flipped up most of the time anyways, if i get a ticket it's my own fault and i will not blame anyone... anyone that does complain should be introduce to the wayne brady b**** slap. it's an awesoem product for those of us required to mount front plates, and do not want to drill holes and put a mount on the front bumper.

how many times have you heard of people getting pulled over because a license plate was not on the front of their car? i've been driving for 10 years now and never even heard of one.

i'm glad he posted this because the other day i was about ready to tap holes into my bumper for the plate holder, and i was trying to think of ways to get around it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I know hundreds of people who run without a front plate. The local Dodge dealer doesn't order SRT4's with brackets even. If I didn't have front mounted EZ-Pass*, I wouldn't run a front plate.

* For people who don't live in the NorthEast:
EZ-Pass is a little RF box that you can mount on your front plate or on your windshield that is for convienence in paying tolls faster and easing congestion. There are special fully electronic toolbooths that automatically draw up the gate when you approach, and it charges your EZ-Pass account 10% less than the normal toll. It also can be used to pay for parking at major airports and harbor facilities. It's only available right now in NJ, NY, PA, DE, MD, WV, CT, MA, ME, VT, NH, and parts of Canada. If you don't have it in your state, goto EZ-Pass.com and hit the "Contact Us" button and tell them that you want EZ-Pass.

·
Registered
13 Posts
L8shift's Reply To "kse"

KSE said:
“So I’m a retard, I don’t know shit and I’m an ass”. Usually when you want to make statements like this you’ll first have some background on the person. Did you think about asking how I know that you’ll have a better chance? L8SHIFT = I work the GRAVEYARD shift. If you look closer at the above thread I said "Fellow Officers". I've been a Deputy Sheriff for approximately 7 years. I have never cited a person who was trying to comply. I’ve let more people go with just warnings than the amount of insults you’ve dished out tonight. I've worked as a Bailiff in traffic court and I'm currently assigned to transit services as a patrol deputy. My beat, the soon to be Orange Line isn’t far from Reseda “KSE/Albert”. I don’t think it’s cool of you to draw negative attention to your fellow vehicle owners. Should I take a position of no tolerance with CobaltSS Drivers? Hell no, that would be STUPID when it’s just you being the JERK. I’ve met some cool CobaltSS owners. I know they are not all like you.

So if anyone were qualified to say, “what you can and can't get away with” it would be me and not you. I'm not going to cite you and my close partners aren’t either. However if you act like this during traffic stops I think WE ALL SEE why you get tickets. If you've ever visited SRTFORMS California section you would find numerous post that I’ve made to help Sport Compact drivers like you fight stupid cites (fix it) and even more serious ones (DUI). If you’re just an arrogant angry person bro, come to LACR on Wed or Fri and get that frustration out ripping some gears on the ¼ mile. Their will always be plenty of Hondas and Acuras for you to piss on. I didn't come here to start problems and conflict, but dam bro. I'm trying to offer a product being straight up about what the law says. Based on my experience I know what a cop will or will not do. If a person is cool and appears to be trying to comply, most of the time they’ll get off. I know because I’ve done it.

So will you:
1. Be cool and turn it down a notch.
2. Continue to be a Jerk.

I have an idea of which one you’ll choose.. Prove me wrong.

For those of you not in "KSE's" camp PM me if your interested.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
L8SHIFT said:
Did you think about asking how I know that you’ll have a better chance? L8SHIFT = I work the GRAVEYARD shift. If you look closer at the above thread I said "Fellow Officers". I've been a Deputy Sheriff for approximately 7 years. I have never cited a person who was trying to comply. I’ve let more people go with just warnings than the amount of insults you’ve dished out tonight. I've worked as a Bailiff in traffic court and I'm currently assigned to transit services as a patrol deputy.
all i can say is:

i guess that set things straight, lol

again, i appreciate an item like this.. thanks for creating it... and it nice to see the coppers with hot rods lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
KSE said:
Your free to have your opinion bro. I got no prob with that. You came on hella strong and attempted to discredited me without knowing who I was and where I was coming from. I saw your site and see that it's a newer one. I'm sure in the future you'll want a ton of vendors who will pay you for the privilege of selling items on your site. So I took the offense from a business point of view. It wouldn’t be smart as a businessman to clown a potential client who will pay them $300 a month to sell items on their forms.

As far as the 100%. Its called discretion and interpretation. Every cop uses their discretion in deciding if they want to go by the book or be realistic and let some things go. Interpretation is why lawyers have a jobs. These laws were written in the 1950’s. The writers had no idea about tuner cars and smooth bumpers. Hell you had a big chevy and the plate went somewhere on the front end. The swinging issue was intended for a plate hanging by one screw ready to fall off. However today it could possibly be interpreted as my holders ability to swing out of view. It has yet to be argued in court and I have no case decisions to point out that it‘s legal. That’s why I can not honestly say that it’s not 100% legal. No tricks no games about it.

L8

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys my car has black interior. I know your's has Red/Black. Would you like to see the holders in Black using red thread as the trim? I know this would look sweet on your interiors. If so I'll have my guy make some....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts