Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed today that my SC was making more noise than I remember it making previously. Was just curious if any of your SCs are making rattling noises at idle.

TIA!

Oldbenwa

Edit: Oh, only 1200 miles on it so far, mostly highway.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put my ear like 2 inches above it and moved my head all over the engine compartment, noise was definitely loudest directly over the SC.

Oldbenwa

·
Registered
122 Posts
yeah i hear that too while idling, and it definatly seems to be from the supercharger, i wish i would have paid attention when i first got the car to see if it made some noises then.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Just take it to the dealer & lets kill the "I wonder factor" & lets us know... :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll mention it to them when I have my passenger door panel replaced, see what they think. I'll let you know.

Oldbenwa

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mercury said:
I just noticed the same thing like 5 minutes ago.... It sounds like rocks are being grinded and tossed around.

Although I did just pull up to a redlight and forgot to push the clutch in...
That perfectly describes the noise mine makes. The dealer still hasn't gotten my door panel in so I haven't taken my car in yet. Let us know if you do.

Thanks!

Oldbenwa

·
Registered
454 Posts
We like to refer to it as "The Can of Marbles Noise"...

Mine has done it since day one, a few other guys have as well. Someone got their blower replaced based in the noise, but it seems like 90% of the cars have it. Much worse in the winter when you first start up too....

·
Banned
200 Posts
This is a common problem on higher mileage GTP's. Theres a plastic composite coupler inside the snouth that couples the blower drive thats connected to the pulley to the gears that turn the rotors. Maybe Eaton installed some out of spec couplers in your blowers. Worth looking into.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The coupler noise is considered "normal" at idle. It will generally get worse as mileage accumulates. Some dealers are replacing the SC for it , but there's a TSB coming to tell them NOT to. (as it just returns after a couple thousand miles)
If it really bothers you- you can certainly relace the stock couple with an "improved" non-oe unit such as the one from ZZ
http://www.zzperformance.com/products1.php?id=155

HTH
WOT

·
Registered
137 Posts
No, but I was told it's supposed to be released soon. If it's real bad, they might just change the entire sc, but the reality is- it's not really harmful.
WOT

1 - 20 of 28 Posts