Cobalts SS banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So is there anyone coming out with a conversion for the m62 to say the m90 or m112? I know you can swap the m90 to m112.
Also does anyone have any specs on the IC system for the SS S/C?
What is the max boost/pulley size that can be achived from stock trim? 3.0? 2.8?

thanks,
GTP GUY :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you're going to swap superchargers, swap from the Eaton to a Kenne Belle. The twin screw design produces considerably cooler charge temperatures and is overall more efficient than a roots style blower.

·
Registered
95 Posts
selfinfliction said:
the only problem is that the people at kenne belle told me they were probably not going to make one for our cars
I am in the same town as kenne bell. I emailed them and they told me to bring it by. Maybe something brewing...

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
SoCal Redline said:
I am in the same town as kenne bell. I emailed them and they told me to bring it by. Maybe something brewing...

that would be awesome if it was. i'd definitely consider one of them if it's reasonably priced... then again it might be cheaper just to p&p an m90 and bolt that sucker up :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I knew that a twin screw is more effiecent then a roots but I can get an M90 and have it port and polished for a fraction of what a KB or whipple would cost. I would love to get a Twin screw but I could settle for a m90/m112 swap alot easier.

Also Is the SS S/C intercooler from the factory? I'm getting alot of yes's and alot of no's. Which is it?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Actually, I'm pretty supercharger stupid (why I'm here), what's the difference between the KB and Roots SCs? Just the twin-screw?

·
Registered
74 Posts
iball said:
Actually, I'm pretty supercharger stupid (why I'm here), what's the difference between the KB and Roots SCs? Just the twin-screw?
KB makes good stuff

twin-screws have internal compression when compaired to roots SC's. makes for a more efficient setup

·
Registered
492 Posts
Outsider said:
Also Is the SS S/C intercooler from the factory? I'm getting alot of yes's and alot of no's. Which is it?
The SS/Sc is intercooled from the factory, with a laminova core, and a water-air heat exchanger.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Outsider said:
I could settle for a m90/m112 swap alot easier.

i don't forsee an m112 being swapped out with our blowers. the m62 and m90 are the same dimensions. that swap would be nearly no work at all. the m112 is physically bigger though

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
selfinfliction said:
i don't forsee an m112 being swapped out with our blowers. the m62 and m90 are the same dimensions. that swap would be nearly no work at all. the m112 is physically bigger though

Thats true but I know in other realms you can swap a M90 to a M112 with a few brackets and a new mounting plate.

I figure that mounting surfaces of the M62 on the Cobalt and the M90 on the GTP are very similar. SO "thoretically" (sp) I think it would be possiable but I doubt a vendor will market such a kit. Or hell a company in Grand Rapid, MI sells a M90/M112 Hybrid. Has the M90 case (port/polished) and the M112 rotors with and extension plate for the snout.
http://www.zzperformance.com/products1.php?id=163

Or another company out of Ohio that does the M90 to M112 conversions.
http://www.intense-racing.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/mp112_400.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
is vortech gonna do anything with your cars? vortech makes some really good stuff especially fort he 05 mustang . I would think they would makybe take an interest in the ss.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hmmm I don't know if a centrifugal blower would be a very good choice for these cars (correct me if I'm wrong) because they don't produce the low-end torque that roots/twinscrew superchargers make.

·
Registered
232 Posts
tofu said:
Hmmm I don't know if a centrifugal blower would be a very good choice for these cars (correct me if I'm wrong) because they don't produce the low-end torque that roots/twinscrew superchargers make.
tofu is right... besides if you were gonna go through all the effort of doing a vortech (remove the eaton... etc etc etc)... I would think you would just be better offer getting a turbo..

Does anyone know what generation our m62 is ?

I was browsing around the web looking at m90s and I found a web page that has all the specs for 3rd and 4th gen eaton blowers... Shows that the 4th gen m90 is the same height and length as an m62... only 1 inch wider.. The inlet and outlet ports looks very close as well... Less then a 1inch diff all the dimensions... Seems as though you could get one on VERY easily with a couple of adapter plates...
Of tuning it is a totally different story... until someone cracks the ECU its probably not even worth thinking about...
I remember there being a post by someone that had emailed gravana and they said they were looking into doing a supercharger swap (est 100hp).. I would guess it would be an m90.. Most logical.. Believe they said that they were looking at a 1yr eta (could be wrong)..
Who knows.. I really believe the tuning options for the LSJ over the next year are going to become huge.. Hopefully my Psifi kit will get me by till something bigger and badder comes along ! :)

Sorry for the long post...
God i would love to get my hands on an M90 to take some measurements...

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
ExHondaMan said:
I remember there being a post by someone that had emailed gravana and they said they were looking into doing a supercharger swap (est 100hp).. I would guess it would be an m90..

that was from me, and it sounded like they weren't too far away from it. the ecu is the only thing holding them back from what he told me

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A gen 4 would be a good choice. I have one my self. The Gen V M90 on the 04+ GTP's are much more efficent and don't require any Port and polish work to cool the outlet temps. Alot of guys are doing the Gen V swap. If a KB or Whipple does not become avaiable I think a Gen V would be my top choice.

Also @ what PSI do the SS S/C injectors become static? I mean when would 42#or 60# injectos become needed? I owuld think anything over 16psi but not sure.

·
Registered
95 Posts
ExHondaMan said:
tofu is right... besides if you were gonna go through all the effort of doing a vortech (remove the eaton... etc etc etc)... I would think you would just be better offer getting a turbo..

Does anyone know what generation our m62 is ?

I was browsing around the web looking at m90s and I found a web page that has all the specs for 3rd and 4th gen eaton blowers... Shows that the 4th gen m90 is the same height and length as an m62... only 1 inch wider.. The inlet and outlet ports looks very close as well... Less then a 1inch diff all the dimensions... Seems as though you could get one on VERY easily with a couple of adapter plates...
Of tuning it is a totally different story... until someone cracks the ECU its probably not even worth thinking about...
I remember there being a post by someone that had emailed gravana and they said they were looking into doing a supercharger swap (est 100hp).. I would guess it would be an m90.. Most logical.. Believe they said that they were looking at a 1yr eta (could be wrong)..
Who knows.. I really believe the tuning options for the LSJ over the next year are going to become huge.. Hopefully my Psifi kit will get me by till something bigger and badder comes along ! :)

Sorry for the long post...
God i would love to get my hands on an M90 to take some measurements...
With a bell or whipple ( twin screw style), I don't think we would need much if any ecu work. The biggest limiter of our ecu is boost and maybe a/f. With the twin screw we would see more hp with considerably less psi, because of the efficiency. I theory, eliminating the need to reflash.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts