Cobalts SS banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been asked before but I cant find a straight answer anywhere... Im just wondering how I can make the supercharger whine louder, without putting in a k&n or any other type of aftermarket filter?

·
Registered
118 Posts
black06sssc said:
Sorry if this has been asked before but I cant find a straight answer anywhere... Im just wondering how I can make the supercharger whine louder, without putting in a k&n or any other type of aftermarket filter?

sorry bud, it aint gonna happen. to get the whine you need more air.

·
Registered
364 Posts
black06sssc said:
yea you wont be able to do that. you can just take out your filter and it will whine but i dont recommend that at all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so do i have to get the k&n typhoon then to make more whine? i've heard mixed things about it, saying too much air gets into the engine, causing it to lose horse

·
Registered
48 Posts
Try the Injen CAI instead. I ordered that one because they are supposed to have tuned them so it doesn't run lean. I'll let you know if it ever comes in.

·
Registered
241 Posts
black06sssc said:
so do i have to get the k&n typhoon then to make more whine? i've heard mixed things about it, saying too much air gets into the engine, causing it to lose horse
LOL WTF? who told you that? More air never causes you to loose power.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Try removing the hood blanket. You can try this, no gaurantee that it will work, but it did work on my 03 cobra. Plus you can put it back if you don't like it. As far as I can tell, people have given 3 purposes to having the hood blanket on:
1) making the car quieter
2) on my cobra there is a very small interference with the AM radio under acceleration (I guess the spark plugs or ignition sends off some AM frequencys)
3) not allowing the hood to heat up thus preserving the life of the paint. People seem to debate this one, because for the few people who had negative results, it took 3 or more years to happen. This 4 cylinder probably doesn't get as hot as the 03 cobra engine, and it's been fine for me for 2 years.

If you try this, let us know. I would want to do this, but its freakin cold out right now, so I'm not doing it unless I know you can hear the difference.

·
Registered
76 Posts
03gobluecobra said:
Try removing the hood blanket. You can try this, no gaurantee that it will work, but it did work on my 03 cobra. Plus you can put it back if you don't like it. As far as I can tell, people have given 3 purposes to having the hood blanket on:
1) making the car quieter
2) on my cobra there is a very small interference with the AM radio under acceleration (I guess the spark plugs or ignition sends off some AM frequencys)
3) not allowing the hood to heat up thus preserving the life of the paint. People seem to debate this one, because for the few people who had negative results, it took 3 or more years to happen. This 4 cylinder probably doesn't get as hot as the 03 cobra engine, and it's been fine for me for 2 years.

If you try this, let us know. I would want to do this, but its freakin cold out right now, so I'm not doing it unless I know you can hear the difference.
actually.. the hood blanket is kind of important.. an added safety feature that most people dont realize.. the plastic pieces that are holding the blanket on will melt incase of an engive fire.. dropping the "blanket" on to the engive, smothering the fire.. smart idea, but not nessassarly needed.. but to my knolege.. that is the reason for the hood blanket.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
PaulSS is right, that is also another reason the hood blanket is installed, but the other reasons previously stated are also important,
but i find it very unlikely that my engine will ever catch fire.
but i too would like the whine to be loader and would be very interested to see what would happen!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that doesnt answer my question though, i just want to know what i can do to make the whine of my supercharger louder, without causing problems

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't think removing the hood blanket will cause problems. Seriously, do you think many of our engines are going to catch on fire? Can't really hurt much to try it out.

Yeah you are probably right I do remember hearing that. However this hood blanket is held up by two pieces of metal near the firewall, and some rubber near the front end. I may be wrong, but it didn't quite look like it would even drop in case of fire.

·
Registered
416 Posts
black06sssc said:
that doesnt answer my question though, i just want to know what i can do to make the whine of my supercharger louder, without causing problems
A great way (and the cheapest way) is to replace the stock filter with a conical one that will be installed in the stock airbox with a "screw collar", then you won't have to install the lower cover. The K&N RU-2710 filter get the job done. You will have to drill a small hole on the side of the airbox to be able to tighten the collar's screw.

·
Registered
118 Posts
if you do that you are still causing more air to enter. with the stock injectors and flash you will still get codes. how many times do people have to learn the hard way? do yourself a big favor and learn from other peoples mistakes for once!! of your supercharger whines louder it is bc of more air... and you WILL run into problems. just wait a couple more months for stage 2... EVERYONE!!!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
While the PCM can have a hard time ingesting more air than it expects without throwing a code, the s/c whine becoming louder has nothing to do with more air being taken in. It has everything to do with less sound deadening material between the s/c and the outside. You put a lower restriction air filter on? It deadens sound less effectively. You remove the airbox and put a cone filter, a lot less sound loss as opposed to the stock airbox.

·
Registered
158 Posts
fleckenwhat said:
if you do that you are still causing more air to enter. with the stock injectors and flash you will still get codes. how many times do people have to learn the hard way? do yourself a big favor and learn from other peoples mistakes for once!! of your supercharger whines louder it is bc of more air... and you WILL run into problems. just wait a couple more months for stage 2... EVERYONE!!!!
i think you are very wrong on some statements there

·
Registered
17 Posts
what's the point of making the s/c whine louder when you can't back it up. so when you race people and you lose, people are going to think you have more mods than you really, then they'll flame you for it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
DV8 said:
what's the point of making the s/c whine louder when you can't back it up. so when you race people and you lose, people are going to think you have more mods than you really, then they'll flame you for it.
maybe to hear less 4-cylinder and more supercharger...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts