Cobalts SS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,

I finally went ahead and hammered the SS in low gear. Thought I'd see how I could do on the 1-2 shift.
Of course, the thing hit the rev limiter right away.
Too bad GM set it so low. According to HP graphs I've seen here, the rev limiter hits before max power. How dumb.
My 91 442 Quad 4 car has a 7600 rpm limiter, and it's a 2.3L.

I'm wondering if the upgrade kits just might move the limit up a bit? Even 7000 would be welcome.

Ron

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
yeah i dyno'd my car on saturday and the hp was climing up steeply then it just cuts off... pretty dissapointed. i wonder what rpm range is max power for it?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I personally believe they cut it there because the torque curve is starting to fall. If you look at the dyno's posted up so far the torque is steady and starts tapering off faster around 6500. They may also be trying to increase engine life by keeping the revs down.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still, it appears to be short of full power.
And 6500 is not too high for a DOHC short stroke 4cyl.
I rev limit my 498" Rat at 7000, and even though it made peak power at 6250, it pulld very hard right up to the limiter. I shift it at around 6800.
I guess it's another case of them protecting us from ourselves.........
Ron

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
yeah i found the limiter a llittle tough to deal with in the first few drives because it cuts out so quick but now i dont ever hit it really

·
Registered
232 Posts
Sean said:
yeah i found the limiter a llittle tough to deal with in the first few drives because it cuts out so quick but now i dont ever hit it really
I still hit mine all the time... Never had a car thatve ive done this with... im having a hell of a time trying to get my shifts right.... Im sucky driver though... atleast I can admit it..

·
Registered
309 Posts
They may have set it so low so you have to pay for their staged upgrades to raise it....its a business after all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts