Cobalts SS banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I work for GM changing oil and let me say it is a pain in the (well you know)
first thing the air filter if you haven't figured it out yet, it took us (4-5 techs) to figure out were it was, it is in front of the driver side front tire in the fender about 5ish screws to remove before you get to the compartment (I may post pictures when I get another one) then 4 more screws to remove the bottom to get the filter out it is a tube one.

sythetic oil if you do not put synthetic oil in it WILL void your warranty.The oil filter is right under the supercharger takes 1 1/4 inch socket but it is a pain with a normal socket and barly enough room to remove it (it is the same filter as an ecotec engine in cavaliers/sunfires/grand ams/ aleros/ malibu) and if memory is correct 5.5 litres of oil.

I have only done 1.5 oil changes so I don't know to much yet.
the .5 is we have 2 diffrent lifts one lifts by the fram the other by the tires cause of the air filter only I can do the oil change. we found that out after the other one got our first ss.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
not to knock you dude, but if it took 4-5 techs to "figure out" where the air filter was, those aren't techs. those are guys that don't know how to simply follow the intake tube and see where it ends at.

there are also more than 4-5 screws. you have to remove the main wheel well splashguard to get to it. ie: a crapload of those plastic fastners and a bunch of small self tappting screws.

and i already have all of the pictures posted on the intake, but the website i put them on is currently down, because i'm moving them to a different one and waiting for the dns to catch up

·
Registered
162 Posts
You might want to edit the part where you put 5.5 liters (1.45 gallons) of oil into a CSS. (you didn't end up filling the block as well did you?)

·
Registered
509 Posts
selfinfliction said:
not to knock you dude, but if it took 4-5 techs to "figure out" where the air filter was, those aren't techs. those are guys that don't know how to simply follow the intake tube and see where it ends at.

there are also more than 4-5 screws. you have to remove the main wheel well splashguard to get to it. ie: a crapload of those plastic fastners and a bunch of small self tappting screws.

and i already have all of the pictures posted on the intake, but the website i put them on is currently down, because i'm moving them to a different one and waiting for the dns to catch up

Dude they work on different GM cars everyday, it was there first SS, It probably attracted 4-5 techs to the SS, then the one that did know where it was pointed it out to the one tech that is working on it... They probably laughed at the tech too

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
looks like it says:

"it took us (4-5 techs) to figure out were it was"

to me lol

but for real, a tech couldn't figure it out? anyone with 6th grade education would think to follow the intake tube from the engine :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
first of all it was the first ss in for its first oil change generally we do not check the air flter in the first oil change but since we would be getting more in we decided to check to see were it was.

2nd of all we did have somewhat of an idea were the air filter was but did not want to start to take the car apart to find nothing (expecially if it is that difficult).baiscally 4-5 techs conforming after they looked at it that it was there should have explined that better.

so new car, new engine of corse you arn't gona know were things are at first.

and last wen dealing with gm viecles like I do you find out that sometimes people who design these cars should be shot cause the leave just enough or not enough that you have to tare things apart just to get to a simple thing like an air filter or oil filter makes it difficult for you guys yo work on. kinda like this case.

something else I should add techs get paid a flat rate not an hourly job so if a job is supose to take an hour and they take 2 they only get paid for the 1 hour. so you dont want to take things apart to find out it is not there or not the problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I do believe both saturn and chevy dealers should train there techs better on how to care for a redline and ss.I always check out who is working on my car if they seem lost I will ask for someone different it is just to much of an investment to have someone untrained to work on your car.You should not have on job training or use guess work to repair someones car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It took 4-5 techs to find out where the air filter was?

The first day I bought my SS I could immediately locate it. Its not that hard to look into your engine bay and see the airbox.

Why is it it takes 4-5 techs to figure out somthing so simple. You do know you have Service manuals for a reason, right? Also, I know for a fact that on GM Dealerworld there is somthing called "SI." So instead of consulting that you drag 4-5 techs. sheesh...I wouldnt want my car going in there...

btw....like we say at our service dept... They arnt techs. They're "part changers!"

·
Registered
360 Posts
c44151 said:
and last wen dealing with gm viecles like I do you find out that sometimes people who design these cars should be shot cause the leave just enough or not enough that you have to tare things apart just to get to a simple thing like an air filter or oil filter makes it difficult for you guys yo work on. kinda like this case.

something else I should add techs get paid a flat rate not an hourly job so if a job is supose to take an hour and they take 2 they only get paid for the 1 hour. so you dont want to take things apart to find out it is not there or not the problem.
Now, first off I own an SRT-4 and not a Cobalt SS. But I like the SS and can't wait for the aftermarket to catch-up with it and see what it REALLY can do with an SC upgrade, pulley, etc.
But exactly how hard is it to change the oil and air filters in these things?
Anyone want to post up a "how-to" somewhere?
On the SRT-4 you have the stock airbox to contend with (I think it's like 5 bolts to take the solenoid and cover off, but I'm CAI now) for changing the air filter, and the oil filter is just too easy as it's right under the car by the drain bolt.
Can someone post pics of the SS oil filter and air filter? I'm curious about this.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
its all about the right tools and knowledge. The redlines filter is under the supercharger ya know same motor. And it takes us at home 15mins to do a oil change and that includes the time to jack up the car to get the pan under there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
dam i think its purty sad when people cant change there own oil but even worse when the certified technicians chagin yur oil cant even find were the air filter box is i meen what in the world is goin on here genral motors

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
amsoilracing35 said:
dam i think its purty sad when people cant change there own oil but even worse when the certified technicians chagin yur oil cant even find were the air filter box is i meen what in the world is goin on here genral motors

my thoughts exactly... and here i'm gettin bashed for saying WTF!? that's not even a funny kind of sad, that actually makes me wonder why the dealer can have people do warranty repair work on my car that know nothing about it, and i am not allowed to

1 - 13 of 13 Posts