Cobalts SS banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a vw 1.8t gti right now, and ive been spending way too much money on repairs as its in the shop every other month. anyways i was thinking of getting a new car. ive been thinking an srt-4 or cobalt ss. i have a couple questions here.

1). i dont like chevy symbols, or any for that matter. so i would debadge the cobalt. it seems like they all come off easy. but what about the front chevy symbol. does it come off, will it.?? are they all easilly taken off. cause i hate it that i cant take off the rear vw symbol without haveing freaking body work done.

2.) from reading this forum, it seems there arent that many aftermarket parts available. when will that be changing? i heard the srt-4 has well established aftermarket(or whatever).is that true?

3.) i know the basic difference in a turbo and supercharger, but which is easier to turn the boost up.(dont really know how that part works.) ive just chipped my gti and ran with it never had a boost guage.

4.) are chips available to up performance?

5.)i think i have other ?s but for right now thats good. i was hooked on the srt-4, but i just dont dig the looks, but now im getting hooked on the looks of the cobalt. either way i would own a black one and completely black everything out. any pics of this. hahaha?

im not a complete idiot. ive been researching these cars for the past week. (i cant leave my apartment, the gti is in the shop)

thanks alot

·
Registered
259 Posts
got drive both and make a decision....

·
Registered
895 Posts
dierobotsdie said:
2.) from reading this forum, it seems there arent that many aftermarket parts available. when will that be changing? i heard the srt-4 has well established aftermarket(or whatever).is that true?
Saturn ION Redline doesn't have much aftermarket support at all. i hope the SS (same drivetrain/powerhouse) recieves more support or else it too will fall even shorter off the pace of the game.

The SRT4 has Mopar and then you also have the millions of companies with the aftermarket goodies.

dierobotsdie said:
3.) i know the basic difference in a turbo and supercharger, but which is easier to turn the boost up.(dont really know how that part works.)
Boost adjustable for turbo = wastegate and boost controller

boost non-adjustable for S/C = pulley

Turbo boost is adjustable manual and electronic so its going to be the one that you can "turn the boost up".

The SRT4 will be your better performer, atleast until/if the aftermarket for the SS will come around. Like he said, drive both and make your decision. I own a SRT4 so ofcourse I'm going to be partial to my car over the SS but both are good at what they are made for.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Novtec1 said:
got drive both and make a decision....

I agree, research is good, but when you are in the car, that is a totally different kind of research.
Thats called Touch, feel & drive.
You can load up your brain with whatever you want to learn, but your lessons will become more like opinions after you TASTE drive a car.

So go drive both... pick which one you like, then research it.

Then tell us which one you picked!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Go drive both for about 30 minutes each both in-city and on the highway.
Then, when you eventually do choose the SRT-4 there's tons of aftermarket for it right now.

·
Registered
509 Posts
iball said:
Go drive both for about 30 minutes each both in-city and on the highway.
Then, when you eventually do choose the SRT-4 there's tons of aftermarket for it right now.

Quite the one-sided answer huh!

·
Registered
360 Posts
YellowSXT said:
Quite the one-sided answer huh!
Based on his criteria, the SRT-4 is the only answer. Only three badges to remove (not including the dealer sticker...mine didn't come with one). Hell, he can even order a custom badge to replace the front one or just a paint-matched "cover" for the front Dodge emblem. The other two emblems can be removed in 5 minutes with a hairdryer, floss, and "goo-b-gone". No trace that the rear emblems ever existed.
Aftermarket is huge compared the CSS/SC. Easier to boost up a turbo than a supercharger, hell they've been doing it with cheap screendoor springs! No "chips" yet, but there are SRT-4 owners making 400-450 whp easy without "chipping" anything. No way to reflash the stock PCM, but then again you don't really have to. Want an adjustable suspension? Buy MOPAR Stage 3 coilovers or one of many other coilovers out there. Toss in some upgraded sways and prothane bushings and you'll stomp all over 90% of the mass-produced automobiles in existance on the twisties. Want to install a CAI? 15 minutes, no "tuning" neccessary. Want over 300 whp? Buy the MOPAR Stage 3R upgrade with toys and follow the install instructions, no tuning neccessary just go. No silly covers all over the engine like some cars have (almost all Euro cars nowadays) to play with, and one can easily reach everything on the SRT-4 engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the replys guys. and thanks for no flames too.

yeah im still waiting on my gti to get out of the shop, then ill hit up some test drives. im so used to the nice interior of my vw, and i hear alot of people who switch from vw to one of these cars (or has test driven one) has found that the interior just isnt that nice, looks and feel. im not flaming your cars at all. its just what ive heard.

im still going with one of these cars most likely unless someone can talk me into a non turbo/supercharged car like the rsx-type s

·
Registered
251 Posts
dierobotsdie said:
thanks for the replys guys. and thanks for no flames too.

yeah im still waiting on my gti to get out of the shop, then ill hit up some test drives. im so used to the nice interior of my vw, and i hear alot of people who switch from vw to one of these cars (or has test driven one) has found that the interior just isnt that nice, looks and feel. im not flaming your cars at all. its just what ive heard.

im still going with one of these cars most likely unless someone can talk me into a non turbo/supercharged car like the rsx-type s
I guess it depends on what you're looking for in the interior as well because both are drastically different. The SRT-4 has a more "rally car" feel to it imo and works well with the car. The seats are a little tight but being a sedan the backseat seems to look (never been in it) bigger than the Cobalts so if you're trucking passengers around and you care about their comfort this may be something to take into consideration.

As for the Cobalt, I drive an LS and have never been in an SS so I'm not speaking from direct experience but the interiors seem similar between the two. If you're not wild about leather seats (I would assume with your VW this is what you have) then the SS is definitely not for you because that's all it comes with. You might want to sit in them and give them a try because they are comfortable as all hell..but something to keep in mind. My friend and brother have both rode around in the backseat and say the seats are incredibly comfortable back there (just don't sit in the middle :D) and they didn't feel cramped one bit. This was also after a 3 hour drive not just around the block and down the street. As for the console, everything is easy to reach and control and the dials are together in a nice tight group and easy to read but are larger than those in the SRT-4.

As for the RSX, never been in one and never even really looked at them so can't help you out much there...a type S would also be the most expensive of the bunch once you add options, etc. but I don't see anything wrong with them and hear nothing but good things from people that drive them.

As everyone has said take them each for a drive and see which one fits your needs the best...it's really the only way to tell. Just make sure to keep your eyes on the road and not the boost gauge all the time (or playing with the DIC in the Cobalt god I'm bad for that)...don't wanna be smokin' something on a test drive :rolleyes:.

Permafried-

1 - 11 of 11 Posts