Cobalts SS banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to trade in my SRT-4 for a cobalt SS. I was wondering from those who have already purchased one, how much they paid for these things and how much the dealers are willing to come down on the MSRP. Do you know if GM is offering employee pricing on the 05 models? If I could get one for under 20 Id be really happy. My main problem right now is how much negative equity im going to take from the SRT.

And also to those who have purchased one already, how do you like it so far? anything I should be aware of?


Thanks :)

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
I love the car!
I am an employee at a Chevy dealership, and the negative equity still brought the car up a good deal (traded in an 04 cavalier)
But it was well worth the money
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,083 Posts
actually, i did get employee pricing on an 05 cobalt ss. the sticker was originally 23 smething, and i got it for just over 20,000, not THAT big of a difference, but hey every penny counts. the only way i see you getting one for under 20, is if it has NO options.

i like the car, but you basically get what you pay for. there are very noticeable gaps between body panels that don't line up correctly. my clutch, is one of the ones that are messed up, and currently my chevy dealer is refusing to do anything unless there is a recall. my driver's side door is one of the one's with the messed up leather, and again my dealer won't order a new one cuz they said that GM says that it's "normal" (which it appears to be) and that 9 out of 10 come from the factory like that. the leather on the seats is stretching and looks all wrinkled. but basically, most of the cars in this segment have their positives and negatives. it's a quick car and it looks nice, plus i got the employee discount, and it gets decent gas mileage. it's hard to complain about a car like this, when you think about the sticker price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Why are you trading your SRT-4? My neighbor just bought a red one and absolutely loves it. You'd be giving up some horsepower though :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,083 Posts
oh, but if you DO decide to get an ss, make SURE you get the g85 (performance) package with the recaro's, but more importantly, an LSD. i don't have the g85, and man do i wish i did. the srt-4 comes stock with one, and when i got my ss, i thought it also came stock with one, but found out i was wrong on the first sharp turn i took, shifting into second and spinning that inside wheel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Its all personal prefrence. I test drove both the SRT-4 and SS and i picked the SS. Yes you lose a bit of hp now, but soon there will be stage kits, and aftermarket products to make that up.

I hear employee pricing is still on, but it might be had to find an 05 just sitting at a dealership
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
Tom, it is a great vehicle, and I love my COBALTSS.. The only one to make the decision as to what to purchase is you. Test drive everything your interested in and then weigh the difference. The only thing that I can tell you is, is that I look foward to everytime I get to drive my Cobalt. The mods will soon be hitting the shelves and you will have plenty to choose from. Just make the decision that feels right to you!! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,083 Posts
yeah, it's a nice car and all, and i love driving it... i just hate finding something new that's wrong with it. i'm taking mine back to the dealer on monday, to get them to replace the clutch. i can't deal with the random grinding gears when i have my clutch pedal against the floor. and then people around me just think i can't shift right. and this morning i noticed the HUGE gap where the front bumper meats my DS headlamp. you really do get what you pay for. if you want something fast, that's put together right, and with a nice interior then you have to shell out the cash. there's nothing like that for less than 30 grand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Golf Girl said:
Why are you trading your SRT-4? My neighbor just bought a red one and absolutely loves it. You'd be giving up some horsepower though :(

I love my SRT-4, but its killing my wallet. I got it in April of 04, and just HAD to have it, so I went in there and took whatever deal I could get just so I could drive out of there with that thing. I traded in my 01 Neon for it (which I was 3K in the hole from) so I ended up financing nearly 24K for the SRT and with a 9% APR I'll have paid the bank 30K by the time its paid off :eek: See why I want to get rid of it now? :) Also, its just really rough around the edges, with the hard starting that wont go away, the horrible gas mileage and boost leaks. But from what Ive been reading here, the Cobalt seems to have its own long list of little problems.

I know ill be losing 30 hp or so, but it doesnt matter a whole lot to me anymore. Im not big into the racing and street racing is even more stupid. (got a 400 dollar ticket in the srt for playing with a mach 1 in the srt)

basically I just want a fast little car with a nice interior that doesnthave a million little annoying problems. Under 400 bucks a month would be nice too
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Hmm, this is an interesting read for me guys. I didn't know that people were having these little/big? issues with their cobalts/srts because I haven't been hanging out on these forums much.

That kind of scares me considering these are brand new cars but I guess that you always have the warranty. I'm currenlty in the market for my 1st new car purcahse as well and am debating between the srt-4, cobat ss, vw gti 05/06 < not out yet or maybe a mazda speed. If I go with the cobalt I want to get in on the employee pricing deal before its over. Although the srt-4 has a lot more after mrk support right now the cobalt should catch up.

I'm going to go out and test drive each of these cars and see what I can get the best overall deal on and hopefully be sporting a nice new ride and a big grin! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Buying a new car should be fun not scary just research and know your info before you buy the car then that way they know they can't get over you. But if you want the ss i say get it, as long as you stay in the "american family" :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
JdMkIlLeR said:
Buying a new car should be fun not scary just research and know your info before you buy the car then that way they know they can't get over you. But if you want the ss i say get it, as long as you stay in the "american family" :)

it seems they are finally getting their stuff straight, but lets admit it, 3 years back american cars, not trucks, were horrible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,460 Posts
spacedintime said:
I love my SRT-4, but its killing my wallet. I got it in April of 04, and just HAD to have it, so I went in there and took whatever deal I could get just so I could drive out of there with that thing. I traded in my 01 Neon for it (which I was 3K in the hole from) so I ended up financing nearly 24K for the SRT and with a 9% APR I'll have paid the bank 30K by the time its paid off :eek: See why I want to get rid of it now? :) Also, its just really rough around the edges, with the hard starting that wont go away, the horrible gas mileage and boost leaks. But from what Ive been reading here, the Cobalt seems to have its own long list of little problems.

I know ill be losing 30 hp or so, but it doesnt matter a whole lot to me anymore. Im not big into the racing and street racing is even more stupid. (got a 400 dollar ticket in the srt for playing with a mach 1 in the srt)

basically I just want a fast little car with a nice interior that doesnthave a million little annoying problems. Under 400 bucks a month would be nice too
With all those annoyances, like you mentioned, I don't think it would be a bad idea for you.

I say go for it. Beware tho, the first model WILL have little problems.. they always do.

jm2c
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Went and snooped around a chevy lot today since it was sunday and the salesmen werent there to harass me. They only had a red 06 ss and boy was it sexy looking :)
Then I drove my SRT home and felt sad I was looking to give it up. Im really torn here guys.

btw the hard starting problem with the SRT is driving me nuts. No one anywhere can find a definate cure for this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
When I was looking for my new car I test drove the Redline and the SRT-4 (SS wasn't out yet, but I knew what it looked like from their site and how it drove via the RL). I instantly knew the srt-4 was faster, but I didn't like the super stiff supension (don't know much about the car, maybe it was just a freak one?) and the fact that it would've cost me over 5,000 bucks (CDN) more. I also got 0%APR on my RL and MUCH lower insurance costs. I am very happy with my decision, but like others have said, each car has it's ups and downs and no one can deceide for you. Its something you have to do and live with. Best of luck (at least your staying domestic)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,083 Posts
spacedintime said:
Went and snooped around a chevy lot today since it was sunday and the salesmen werent there to harass me. They only had a red 06 ss and boy was it sexy looking :)
Then I drove my SRT home and felt sad I was looking to give it up. Im really torn here guys.

btw the hard starting problem with the SRT is driving me nuts. No one anywhere can find a definate cure for this.
did you make sure it was a supercharged ss model? they also have a naturally aspirated ss, that only has 170 ish horsepower. you might want to make sure it's the s/c version. also, if you take it for a test drive or decide to buy it, make sure you look it over VERY carefully. check the leather around the door sills to make sure it isn't cut too short like on mine. also, give it a nice hard shift into second to make sure it doesn't spin the clutch (like mine). also, check that all the body panels meet up seemlessly (the rear bumber on mine doesn't meet up smoothly with the DS rear fender, there's a bit of a lip which pisses me off. there's also a large gap in the front where the bumber meets the DS light which also pisses me off). basically just look at EVERY part of the car and hope that you got a good one. from what i understand, not all of the cobalts have problems, but there are problems out there and it just so happens that mine has just about all of em (except for the problem with the muffler, so i can't tell you much about that).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
yea i've been noticing that people are getting cobalts not "finish" But then i got the thinking its people like you and me working on these cars, some don't care if its secured right or not just as long as they get the paychecks every week.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top