Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to this guy so bear with me. I just bought an 06 LS, hope nobody gets mad cuz its not an SS! I was looking to get rims but i dont understand Tire Sizing very well, i was wondering what size tires would fit on my Cobalt. I know the stock size is 190/60-15...what do those numbers mean and how much bigger can i go if any....thanks alot for the help

·
Registered
671 Posts
190 = width
60 = sidewall height
15 = size in diameter

you will also need to know what offset you have and what your bolt pattern is. The ss/sc has a 5x110 bolt pattern

·
Registered
671 Posts
Bolt pattern is needed if you are also purchasing wheels.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
The 190 part means the tire is 190mm wide. 60 means the size of the sidewall is 60% of width: 60% of 190 is 114mm. That is important to make sure your speedometer reads properly. and of course the -15 is the size of your rim.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok...

Ok so does anybody know what the offset and the bolt pattern is on my car. I'm looking to get either 17's or 18's depending on pricing that i find, so what size tires should i get. I promise you I'm not as dumb about the rest of the car, lol, ive just never bought rims before. Thanks guys

·
Registered
671 Posts
The best site for this is www.tirerack.com you put your car in and they will give you all of your #'s and wheel and tire packages. You can also view the rims and tires on your car.

·
Registered
322 Posts
with 18x7 up to about 18x8 you probably want to consider putting 225 series tires on, it'll help protect the rim and give you a larger footprint.

edited to answer your question-

Yes, 18's should fit fine, as long as the offset is correct and you don't go wider than about 18x8.

·
Registered
258 Posts
you wont need to lower it if you get 18's, it sould take up all of the fenderwell space, but i think it would be cool to get the ss/sc's wheels(18's gunmetal), or the N/A ss wheels(17's polished). Im not sure if the SC/SS wheels will fit, but the 17's might

·
Registered
192 Posts
you don't *need* to lower it, but you're going to want to unless you want to drive around looking like Commander Wheelgap...

·
Registered
322 Posts
HeppyCat said:
if he keeps the same overall wheel/tire diameter why would it look any different than stock?

It's an optical illusion. The fender gap will actually remain the same, but if the gap is larger than the sidewall of the tire, it looks like you're riding high.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
as long as i keep the tire the same width they arent going to stick out on the sides then right...and are u guys talkin about the gap between the wheel and the fender being larger than the sidewall?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
also im lookin at getting an intake right away....would u guys suggest the Injen or the AEM cold air intake....or another one?

·
Registered
322 Posts
CrprtFinch12 said:
as long as i keep the tire the same width they arent going to stick out on the sides then right...and are u guys talkin about the gap between the wheel and the fender being larger than the sidewall?
1: Width of the tire is a function of the width of the rim. A wider rim necessitates a wider tire, but if your new rim is the same width as the old rim, yes, the same tire width should be used to achieve the same look.

2: Yes, the distance between the tire and the fender. If that distance is greater than the height of the sidewall, the car will appear to be lifted. I ran into this problem on my last car. With 15" wheels it looked fine, but when I put 17s on it looked like it was on stilts, even though I was still scraping going over speedbumps due to the redonkulous lip kit I had on it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
CrprtFinch12 said:
also im lookin at getting an intake right away....would u guys suggest the Injen or the AEM cold air intake....or another one?

I'm going with the J-body Performance Vortex intake personally. Other than that one, all intakes will function pretty much the same. I'm going with this one because it supposedly twists the air to get more even flow through the super blades. We'll see.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well let me know how that works for you...i'll hold off til i find out. So im thinkin i will lower it some....would just some easy Eibach Lowering springs be ok or what else do i need with that?

·
Registered
322 Posts
CrprtFinch12 said:
well let me know how that works for you...i'll hold off til i find out. So im thinkin i will lower it some....would just some easy Eibach Lowering springs be ok or what else do i need with that?
That's kind of an ongoing argument. Yes, the Eibach springs are a great choice.....as for what else you'll need:

I don't know how adjustable the camber is on our cars, you'll have to look into it and see if you need to buy a camber kit as well.

Alot of guys have said that anything over a 1.5" drop and you'll need new struts, others say the Eibach sportsline at 2" is fine on the stock struts. I'm a member of the school that says if you drop it- spring for new struts now, or spring for em in three months when a strut bottoms out and blows.

BTW- the Eibach Pro-Kit is a 0.0 drop on the SS/SC, You'll have to go for the Sportline springs if you go Eibach.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts