Cobalts SS banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I created this thread as to not hijack the other thread where this conversation was in.

(Previously on CobaltSS.com)
we were trying to find the fastest FWD sedan on the market other than the SRT4

mr wasey says that the altima is the fastest, and brings in some good times from a site to back it up, including one example of an altima doing a 14.2 stock. i think that it is sort of not worth considering because its not really fair to just find one car that had a lucky experience and use that.
also the car was running 92 octane at 60 degrees, so its got a little advantage. but if you can find some more examples of this then i would consider it more.

car and driver actually clocked the SER at 14.8 and the Acura TL at a 14.3
now you are probably going to come back with something to counter my points, but still that is a half second difference, its not even really close.
and on that site with the 14.1 sec altima there was only that one car that was faster than a TL

·
Registered
272 Posts
I don't have any facts to back me up yet...but as for a guess I am putting my money on the Acura. I have ridden both cars and it does seem like the TL is quicker...are we talking about the TL-type S???

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what tL type s? is there one?

·
Registered
272 Posts
yeah. there is
friends mom has one...it is sooo sweet

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what is the dif between an normal one and a typeS?

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Nukem said:
I don't have any facts to back me up yet...but as for a guess I am putting my money on the Acura. I have ridden both cars and it does seem like the TL is quicker...are we talking about the TL-type S???
I assume we are just talking about the new TL.

Sean said:
Well I created this thread as to not hijack the other thread where this conversation was in.

(Previously on CobaltSS.com)
we were trying to find the fastest FWD sedan on the market other than the SRT4

mr wasey says that the altima is the fastest, and brings in some good times from a site to back it up, including one example of an altima doing a 14.2 stock. i think that it is sort of not worth considering because its not really fair to just find one car that had a lucky experience and use that.
also the car was running 92 octane at 60 degrees, so its got a little advantage. but if you can find some more examples of this then i would consider it more.

car and driver actually clocked the SER at 14.8 and the Acura TL at a 14.3
now you are probably going to come back with something to counter my points, but still that is a half second difference, its not even really close.
and on that site with the 14.1 sec altima there was only that one car that was faster than a TL
I did not know the TL was that quick. Either way I have seen stock Altima SE-Rs as low 14.16. Also several low 14sec(14.1-14.3) Altima 3.5SEs. I am trying to find the magazine that got a 14.3 out of one. I thought it was sport compact, but there is no mention of it on there site. So I will keep looking... I know that I have seen a magazine get a 14.3, out of an Altima.

I agree maybe not every single Altima 3.5 can run that fast stock, but they are capable. Do you think every single TL can run 14.3 stock, but we both can agree (now) they are capable?

Maybe the new TL is considered faster then the Altima, like I said I didn't know they were that quick. Either way the TL is out of that guy's price range. :p

·
Registered
498 Posts
Ahhh, Mr. Wasey, how are ya buddy> i knew I'd find my favorite Honda fanboi again on here. (Ok guys I'm gonna get him going).

So, what do you think of the '06 si? Looks like a nice ride! 197hp ain't bad. What do you bet it will run? 14.1? 12.9?

·
Registered
272 Posts
my mistake they no longer make the type S any more now its something like Aspec kit which just comes w/ better suspension and brakes and aero-kit I think the new ones push 270 hp w/ 255lbs

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK well im not trying to start anything so im ok with that

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
phxSS said:
Ahhh, Mr. Wasey, how are ya buddy> i knew I'd find my favorite Honda fanboi again on here. (Ok guys I'm gonna get him going).

So, what do you think of the '06 si? Looks like a nice ride! 197hp ain't bad. What do you bet it will run? 14.1? 12.9?
The new Si will run 3s all day. It has I-vtec, the I stands for intense.

Have final power numbers been put out for it yet??? I think they are awesome, either way.

Also in this discussion I was picking the Nissan over the Honda. ;)

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Nukem said:
my mistake they no longer make the type S any more now its something like Aspec kit which just comes w/ better suspension and brakes and aero-kit I think the new ones push 270 hp w/ 255lbs
wasey13 said:
Altima 3.5 SE
Curb weight
Manual transmission 3,227
Automatic transmission 3,274

Acura TL
Curb Weight
Automatic: 3570 lb
Manual: 3472 lb

Altima 05/06
240/250hp
246ft.lbs/249ft.lbs

Acura TL
270hp
238ft.lbs
Considering the weight difference and not getting into their weight distribution and gearing I think they are very evenly matched cars.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Wasey, I posted a thread with pics of new civic's..check it out.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ok phyxSS, that's enough. I don't want wasey getting out of control on this one. It's time for me to preach GM's glory, and I like discussing the GM vs. Honda thing w/ wasey.

Now I believe both of you are leaving out the Impala SS. I'm not sure what year you guys are comparing, so I'm going to use 2006 figures for all 3 cars. I'm using the comparison feature on Acura's web page because Chevy is being weird and won't let me compare the Impala SS with the Acura TL. Some information is not being listed on the Acura page, so I'm bouncing back and forth between Chevy and Acura, so if I miss something, please let me know.

Now the 2006 Impala SS comes with the 5.3L small block V8 with Displacement on Demand. So you can knock it down to 4 cylinders to save gas on your morning commute, and kick it up to 8 cylinders for plenty of excitement on those weekend adventures. The EPA has yet to give official estimates, but GM testing has shown an estimated 28 mpg which puts it smack dab in the middle of the 2 other cars.

Wait a minute, the original topic of this discussion was the fastest FWD sedan on the market. Well then let's get to the juicey stuff. The 5.3L small block (323 cubic inches) puts out [email protected] and [email protected] The TL has surprisingly low torque for it's hp rating of [email protected] with only 238lb-ft, and it's so late in the powerband (5000rpm) that the average driver will have a hard time getting all 238lb-ft on your morning commute, but at least you won't spill your latte which is good news for C&D. Now the Altima SE-R, while having 10 less HP 400rpm lower, it does have 12 more lb-ft of torque and it sees all of it at the same time the Impala SS does. So the Altima SE-R will pull harder than the TL, but the TL will pull longer, so it's going to be an interesting race between those two cars. The Impala SS will most likely come out on top.

Transmissions also come into this equation. Both the TL and Altima SE-R have 6 speed manual transmissions as opposed to the Impala SS's 4 speed automatic. Now the transmission could be the key selling point for the imports, but we aren't concerned with selling these cars. Now the Impala SS may lack 2 extra gears, but the 4 gears it does have are inevitably taller, and it has plenty of torque to compensate for the taller gears and still come out on top. Why Chevy isn't offering a 6 speed manual, or even a 5 speed manual, is mind boggling.

In conclusion, the TL and SE-R are nice, quick, FWD sedans, but they appear fall short, both price-wise and performance-wise, to the larger Impala SS. How short they fall has yet to be determined, and that 4 speed auto could be the deciding factor. It should be interesting to see the physical times for all 3 2006 models right next to each other.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I dont care what anybody says... I think that new SI looks SWEET.. Im sure the motor will end up being a disappoint just due to "H"s obsession with low emissions and what not... but if that body style makes it all the way to production that may be the wifeys next new car !

wasey... Have you really seen SE-R run 14s ? They must be majorly under rated, just based on weight and power doesnt look to be a mid/high 14 car?
As i pointed out in the other thread. altimaser.com only ran 15.1 with JWT cams in it...

I dunno though... I think overall the TL is a much nicer car... but if I was picking between the 2 it would be the SE-R... I just have this feeling that the TL is overrated power wise.. and the SE-R is under rated and an SE-R would probably be more dominant out at the track.. could be wrong though !

·
Registered
498 Posts
No offense Garb, but as much as I defend domestics, you can't compare the new impala SS to the TL..that car is so fucking sweet! It's the only sedan I like right now. And though the impala has good power, the interior, and everything else for that matter is HORRIBLE. there is one here in town, so I stopped by late one night to look at it. The interior was extremely rental car, and there just wasn't anything there. I don't think you can even get it in leather! This one was dreary beige/cloth interior. Damn, it's so plain I don't even know what else to type about it lol

·
Registered
115 Posts
Interior? Who the hell are you? Car and Driver? This was about speed. Let's keep it about speed. Impala SS > TL & SE-R.

PS - you can get it in leather.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yes, when we are comparing entry level LUXORY SEDANS, I do compare interiors, options. If all I cared about was speed, I'd buy a sports car, or an evo, STi (4-door, but built for pure performance). The people that buy these cars generally don't give much of a shit about it's 1/4 miles, or skid pad numbers :rolleyes: ..they care about comfort, options, quietness, and some speed.

·
Registered
232 Posts
phxSS said:
Yes, when we are comparing entry level LUXORY SEDANS, I do compare interiors, options. If all I cared about was speed, I'd buy a sports car, or an evo, STi (4-door, but built for pure performance). The people that buy these cars generally don't give much of a shit about it's 1/4 miles, or skid pad numbers :rolleyes: ..they care about comfort, options, quietness, and some speed.
Warranty as well ! TL has 4yr/50k i believe... Nissan and GM both 3/36 ?
Oh ya.. I think Acura pays for all of your services too !

·
Registered
115 Posts
Oh, I know people buy luxury sedans for interiors and options and what not, but this discussion was about speed. I don't think it should be turned away from speed just because of the cars involved.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I believe ur right w/ the Acura pays for all their services, I do like the interior of the TL better. but either way both cars are fast for a luxury sedan. I think I would stick w/ the Acura IMO. even though my mom has a 2005 Impala. quick too.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts