Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i installed my TQ Brace lastnight. Today i got out and was driving around, and noticed that when i turn left, some part of the brace/bracket is rubbing something. What is causing this? Is is a bad brace and need to send it back? Is there anything i can do? And will this hurt anything??

·
Registered
671 Posts
You may need to grind your bracket. I had to grind mine slightly. I opened the eyelit where the bracket goes over the threads of the lower mount. I also grinded the end of it to make it shorter near where the newly grinded thread goes. You must make sure that the lower bracket fits flush in where the bottom mount is. Also make sure your brace is not touching anything. I have about a 1 16th space. Very minimal I might add but it is there between the brace and the motor mount. Take it off immediately and do the above and you will be fine.

·
Registered
188 Posts
CobaltGuy said:
Well, i installed my TQ Brace lastnight. Today i got out and was driving around, and noticed that when i turn left, some part of the brace/bracket is rubbing something. What is causing this? Is is a bad brace and need to send it back? Is there anything i can do? And will this hurt anything??
What year is your car ? Which brace are you using ?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is on 05, and i got it from cynic when he had that group buy.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok i got a picture of what i did........its not my car, but it is the ion picture from your website. im not sure how to post the picture........can anyone help me out.

·
Registered
117 Posts
CobaltGuy said:
ok i got a picture of what i did........its not my car, but it is the ion picture from your website. im not sure how to post the picture........can anyone help me out.

1stBlu...please get me pictues and measurements so I can see what you did so I can make the changes. The changes will be made at no cost to you guys whatsoever. I need photos of 05 and 06 cobalts to determine if your mounts are just different than the redline or if it was a model year change.

I can't do anything without your guys' help. And I'm sure you'd rather have the issue fixed than have a good looking paperweight.

Ben

·
Registered
671 Posts
The hole needs to be drilled out a little bit. Now as for a measurement for that I dont have one but you can make the hole as big as you want as long as you still have good integrity. You dont want that hole to be so big that it almost has no wall. The length of the bottom brace needs to be grinded down an 1/8 in

·
Registered
117 Posts
1stBluSS said:
The hole needs to be drilled out a little bit. Now as for a measurement for that I dont have one but you can make the hole as big as you want as long as you still have good integrity. You dont want that hole to be so big that it almost has no wall. The length of the bottom brace needs to be grinded down an 1/8 in
It's the center brace that's an issue and I'm not sure why some people are having issues and others aren't. Like I said...pics pics pics. I want to make sure you guys are taken care of.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cynic said:
It's the center brace that's an issue and I'm not sure why some people are having issues and others aren't. Like I said...pics pics pics. I want to make sure you guys are taken care of.
thanks, and yes it is the center bracket, this is what i did to stop the grinding when turning left, it is a quick fix.

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This isnt my car BTW, it a redline with the dual set-up.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i can get you a picture with the brace on, but as far as taking the center brace off and taking a picture, i dont have time untill maybe next weekend. im sure you can find a picture of an 05 motormount without thr brace.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Does your mount look like the one in the 05 pic (flat on top with no ridges?) If so... your problem should be easy to fix. We'll just drill the holes a bit higher up and end of problem. If it looks like the 06 one...well then we've got an issue.

We'll get this worked out. Will just take a little time. Thanks for your help!

Ben

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have an 05 it wasnt the top part that had any problems. My issue was with the bottom bracket that goes over the thread for the lower part of the mount. The dimensions and hole sizes were perfect up top. For the 06 it looks totally different. You bastards !!!! LOL Don't worry all Cynic will take care of you.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cynic said:
Does your mount look like the one in the 05 pic (flat on top with no ridges?) If so... your problem should be easy to fix. We'll just drill the holes a bit higher up and end of problem. If it looks like the 06 one...well then we've got an issue.

We'll get this worked out. Will just take a little time. Thanks for your help!

Ben
No it looks like the 05 one, it has no ridges.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts