Cobalts SS banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So is anyone going to have to balls to put a turbo-charger in there car. I asked my boy that ownes a performance shop if I were to pay half and he was to pay half to put it in and he said " You really dont know how much abuse that the engine can take because its still new" So I guess that is a no so far..

·
Registered
291 Posts
BizoCG said:
So is anyone going to have to balls to put a turbo-charger in there car. I asked my boy that ownes a performance shop if I were to pay half and he was to pay half to put it in and he said " You really dont know how much abuse that the engine can take because its still new" So I guess that is a no so far..
if it can take the abuse from a supercharger it can take the abuse from a turbo, they do the same thing, just use a different method to do it. I have and am still considering possibly turboing the car and yanking th SC. I have most of the parts I would need to do it and that front end is begging for a FMIC.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Same here,If HP tuners comes out with there program I'am absolutley doing it....thing is that i heard that are bottom end is only good till 300 hp .. wtf ? IF that is the case i may consider just doing Intake,Pulley,Header,Exhaust,and a 50 hit of spray...

·
Registered
360 Posts
GM awarded Gravana the contract to build a twin-charger system for the Cobalt SS/SC. But Gravana seems a little "ricey" to me, I can't find anything on their site about it at all, just a press release found via Google:

"General Motors Awards Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged Coupe Project to Gravana
Aftermarket Enthusiasts Prepare for a Twin-Charged Cobalt SS Coupe, General Motors and Gravana Launch Partnership Early in an Effort to Capitalize on the Excitement Created Last Year by Gravana’s Project Cobalts.
Valencia, CA (PRWEB) March 23, 2005 -- In February 2005, General Motors awarded Gravana a 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged Coupe for two primary reasons. First, Gravana is currently leading the industry in New Product Development for Cobalt Aftermarket. Second, the exposure and excitement created around Gravana’s 2004 SEMA Cobalts has allowed consumers to gain ideas of what they themselves can build once they buy a Chevrolet Cobalt. Unlike 2004, in which GM delivered two Cobalts one month prior to the SEMA Show deadline, Gravana will have at least six months to build this Cobalt for the 2005 Las Vegas SEMA Show.

For 2005, Gravana will build the ultimate “Twin-Charged” Cobalt SS Coupe. The stock Chevrolet Cobalt SS Coupe comes from the factory with an Intercooled Supercharger that produces 205HP. Gravana will add a Turbocharger ON TOP OF the factory Supercharger, to increase the power to approximately 300HP. In addition to building this monstrous power plant, Gravana will focus on expanding its line of products for the Cobalt, including a vented hood, Teske Design series body kit and several performance products for the standard SS Coupe. Gravana will again rely on companies such as Recaro, Boston Acoustics, Motegi, H&R and Goodyear for marketing partnerships on this project.

“We are truly honored to have been awarded this project so early in the season. As we learned from last year’s Gravana Project Cobalts, the excitement of these modified cars is helping to drive traffic to Chevrolet dealers. Given the great platform provided by Chevrolet, along with the early start on aftermarket products, the Cobalt has already become a desirable Tuner Car. Chevrolet has an aftermarket winner on their hands. We are just happy to be involved with such a great organization,” said Jim Lupold, President of Gravana. “We look forward to unveiling the Gravana Twin-Charged Cobalt SS Coupe at this year’s SEMA Show.”
(someone from here better be there with a camera! :lol: )

Gravana’s product line-up for the Cobalt SS Supercharged Coupe includes, but is not limited to, a 50-state legal Air Intake System, Header, Exhaust, Evo Style Hood, Body Kit, Coil-Over Suspension, Strut Bars, Carbon Fiber Door Sills and Engine Covers, and a variety of additional upgrades that compliment the car. Companies interested in a marketing partnership on the Gravana Cobalt SS Supercharged Coupe, or any other Gravana project vehicle, should contact Gravana using the contact information below.

About Gravana
Gravana manufactures and sells aftermarket performance products and accessories for GM vehicles. Gravana strives to be the ultimate source for performance products and accessories for most late-model GM vehicles. While the idea started in 1998, Gravana, Inc. was founded in 2003 after several years of research and planning. Company founder Jim Lupold started his career working in the family auto repair business at age 13, building his first GM vehicle – a Pontiac Trans-Am – before he could even drive. After college and a successful career in motorsports, he cut his professional teeth with aftermarket companies Neuspeed, RK Sport, CarParts.com and Performance Products. While Gravana plans to build four (4) project vehicles for 2005, the Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged Coupe is the first to arrive."

·
Registered
492 Posts
Psi-Fi is also working on a twin charge for us now as well. They are well into the project as they have already had months of R&D into the tuning of our engine, well, mainly the comp. That's the biggest thing to overcome, and they have done it. They recently said they are probably going to aim around the 350WHP mark for their twin charge kit, which makes me very excited.

·
Registered
5 Posts
twin charging? i dont know y they just wouldnt first come out with a turbo kit for the cobalt?? they're are already other ecotec powered cars in a turbo variant, y not just fab the parts to make it work on the cobalt. it would have to be simply a matter of wires and plumbing. unless the motor is internally different in the cobalt vs. the turbo saabs

·
Registered
261 Posts
With twincharging you get to add power at all rpm without sacrificing drivability like you would with just swapping out for a turbo. The drawback is parasitic loss from the blower at high rpm when the snail is spooled. Honestly, if you want to remove the blower and go turbo why not just get the 2.2 or wait for the 2.4?..or get an SRT?

·
Registered
291 Posts
dazednconfused75 said:
Honestly, if you want to remove the blower and go turbo why not just get the 2.2 or wait for the 2.4?..or get an SRT?
I personally did not want an SRT, I personally would just turbo the car over the twin kit. One reason being I could sell the SC and intercooler and make some money back.

·
Banned
65 Posts
Just wait, in the next 6 months gm will be releasing a turbo version of the eco tech in the sky & solice. If they do, which they should, it will be rwd & turbo, I might just have to trade in the srt for that!!!!! :D

·
Registered
360 Posts
DDogsrt461BLK said:
Just wait, in the next 6 months gm will be releasing a turbo version of the eco tech in the sky & solice. If they do, which they should, it will be rwd & turbo, I might just have to trade in the srt for that!!!!! :D
Sphincter-say-whaaaa?!?!?!?
First I've heard of a turbo Ecotech for those models. Linky to this info anywhere?

·
Registered
492 Posts
lewd43 said:
twin charging? i dont know y they just wouldnt first come out with a turbo kit for the cobalt?? they're are already other ecotec powered cars in a turbo variant, y not just fab the parts to make it work on the cobalt. it would have to be simply a matter of wires and plumbing. unless the motor is internally different in the cobalt vs. the turbo saabs
The biggest difference with the Saab's is the ECM. Psi-Fi has been working on just a piggy back for the ecm for months because it doesn't like seeing things outside it's parameters by any means. There are so many things that throw the car into limp mode, it's rediculous.

iball said:
First I've heard of a turbo Ecotech for those models. Linky to this info anywhere?
The turbo'd ecotec would be for the Redline version of the Sky, which would probably look a little meaner too, which would be bad ass. But there has not been anything official released to my knowledge about there even being a redline version. Last I heard was that it could be ready to go anytime but they are waiting to see how the sales are going to be on the normal versions of the sky.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Blue04RedLine said:
Last I heard was that it could be ready to go anytime but they are waiting to see how the sales are going to be on the normal versions of the sky.
Marketing idiots. If they turbo it and market it well, it will sell on it's own merits. Guess this thing will never see the light of day then.

·
Registered
492 Posts
iball said:
Marketing idiots. If they turbo it and market it well, it will sell on it's own merits. Guess this thing will never see the light of day then.
Honestly I hope I'm not right about that. I would really want to see the Red Line version of this thing, it would be awesome. I think they're just going about it the wrong way. Most people I know are waiting on the RL version, so the sales of the other will suffer a little bit. I honestly hope they release it either way, and then they'll see the interest.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm sticking with supercharger only! I love the sound, with an intake it will howl even more. My plan is for 13.5-13.9, that will be a fast enough fwd car for me. That should be very possible with pulley, pcm, and intake upgrades!

·
Registered
41 Posts
SS4ME said:
I'm sticking with supercharger only! I love the sound, with an intake it will howl even more. My plan is for 13.5-13.9, that will be a fast enough fwd car for me. That should be very possible with pulley, pcm, and intake upgrades!
Trust me. You won't want to stop with 13s... You think it would be great now, but once you get there, someone will hand you your ass and you'll want to be faster.

·
Banned
65 Posts
iball said:
I seen pictures of it at least 2-4months ago, it's definetly rwd & said turbo eco tech on the valve cover. I think I seen it on the SRT forums, I don't remember, it had a turbo for sure, with the plumbing under the hood. If GM would just get off their ass & produce it, like i said, i would trade in the srt for that little bitch, if they don't try to ask for a arm & leg for it. I'll see if I can find some infor for ya, but everything I said is true, it wasn't a specialty car, it looked production. :cool: :D It looked like a ss model, so keep your eyes peeled, it's coming!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hell I hope a small RWD turbo from GM comes out....it will push DCx to finally build the damn Razor!

·
Registered
509 Posts
iball said:
Hell I hope a small RWD turbo from GM comes out....it will push DCx to finally build the damn Razor!
Amen to that brother!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts