Cobalts SS banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
TwinCharged said:
Imagine a stg2 spoolup with a GT40 turbo topend. That is twincharging. You see what happens when a big turbo SRT runs a high boosting stock turbo SRT. The Stock turbo car gets out quick but then big turbo runs him down. Now what happens when you put both those cars into one. Twincharge baby ;) Not at all useless just neurotic.
But what good is it if you spin like crazy because of the instant hit from the blower, then coupled with the boost of the turbo? Couple that with full spool means your going to spin regardless. Unless your building a highway car I maybe could understand that someone would want to be unique and have a twin charged system. Don't get me wrong, I'm more of a highway car for FWD for my goals anyways but if your building a car for the highway, why waste the time dealing with all that fuss for just a few seconds that won't matter in the end anyways? Why make things more complicated than they need to be? Adds weight, more plumbing, more to maintain, etc etc. Thats why I say its pointless. Different strokes for different folks though.

·
Registered
84 Posts
orange juice said:
But what good is it if you spin like crazy because of the instant hit from the blower, then coupled with the boost of the turbo? Couple that with full spool means your going to spin regardless. Unless your building a highway car I maybe could understand that someone would want to be unique and have a twin charged system. Don't get me wrong, I'm more of a highway car for FWD for my goals anyways but if your building a car for the highway, why waste the time dealing with all that fuss for just a few seconds that won't matter in the end anyways? Why make things more complicated than they need to be? Adds weight, more plumbing, more to maintain, etc etc. Thats why I say its pointless. Different strokes for different folks though.

What I don't understand is how you can comment when you clearly have no idea what is going on, let alone what I have under my hood. If you say that HP and TQ under the curve is not important then you can feel that way behind me.

·
Registered
147 Posts
just to show that twincharged setups aren't pointless, the first 97-03 grand prix to break the 9 second barrier was twin charged...though there was a lot of argument about whether or not he would have run faster with just the turbo and a small nitrous shot to get him off the line.

twincharged, are you running a setup where the s/c only runs up to a certain rpm, then the turbo kicks in and the s/c just goes neutral? that setup drains a little top end power, but also gives a huge kick from the start, so its a win/lose situation. and is that your car in the video? If so, much props, got more pics of it?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'll have to find the artical again, but there is a twin charged STI as well

and yes while having boost all the time is nice, there is something in that artical about the main reason being that the turbo will force and compress air before the engine, but then the S/C will actually compress it even more, so even though you will not push a higher boost, you will be adding more air into the engine.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Annihilator said:
just to show that twincharged setups aren't pointless, the first 97-03 grand prix to break the 9 second barrier was twin charged...though there was a lot of argument about whether or not he would have run faster with just the turbo and a small nitrous shot to get him off the line.

twincharged, are you running a setup where the s/c only runs up to a certain rpm, then the turbo kicks in and the s/c just goes neutral? that setup drains a little top end power, but also gives a huge kick from the start, so its a win/lose situation. and is that your car in the video? If so, much props, got more pics of it?
Yes that is my car in the video. I have the turbo and SC working together all the time. These folks need to understand that it is CFM not boost that makes power.

·
Registered
729 Posts
TwinCharged said:
Yes that is my car in the video. I have the turbo and SC working together all the time. These folks need to understand that it is CFM not boost that makes power.
Boost = CFM = POWER = tires spinning ridiculously if you dont use your head and lift the throttle.

What do think would happen if NASCAR drivers put the pedal to the metal at 60 mph. the speedo would do the same thing. you need to drive like your on ice when you have that much power. the power becomes useable when your at higher speeds and the tires have less opportunity to break traction.

I think the video shows how much power is on tap. I like it and want it. I do agree a clutch will be needed soon, LOL. this is a good point as to why LSD is needed.

·
Registered
106 Posts
There is more then just CFM at play with a boost set up. Yes more CFM = more power but thats only one part of it. Lets say you had turbo and didn't want to upgrade to a bigger one, more psi more boost. right?

Now look at this, you have a turbo running at 15psi, then you upgrade to a bigger one still running 15psi (still the same CFM rating), you are still making more power. Like i said, the more compressed air entering the more power your going to make. So with a turbo compressing the air, then that air hitting the S/C and compressing even more is going to mane some nice numbers. Twin charging is not pointless, it would be the same as taking the S/C off and then slapping on a fair sized turbo but by twincharging now you get the benifit of all time boost.

·
Registered
492 Posts
JMac88 said:
There is more then just CFM at play with a boost set up. Yes more CFM = more power but thats only one part of it. Lets say you had turbo and didn't want to upgrade to a bigger one, more psi more boost. right?

Now look at this, you have a turbo running at 15psi, then you upgrade to a bigger one still running 15psi (still the same CFM rating), you are still making more power. Like i said, the more compressed air entering the more power your going to make. So with a turbo compressing the air, then that air hitting the S/C and compressing even more is going to mane some nice numbers. Twin charging is not pointless, it would be the same as taking the S/C off and then slapping on a fair sized turbo but by twincharging now you get the benifit of all time boost.
Um, as far as I can think of it, upgrading to a larger turbo at the same psi would result in an increase in the CFM flow of air into the engine. That turbo is making the same psi in boost, but compressing a larger amount of air in the process, leading to an increased CFM air flow. This is why you can make the same power at lower boost levels with a larger turbo when you switch from a high boosting small turbo. Is this not correct?

·
Registered
492 Posts
JMac88 said:
Look at the definition of CFM, compression is not a factor.
Cubic feet per minute (correct?). So if it's flow or air in cubic feet per minute, how is a larger area inside the turbo (when upgrading to a larger one than is already installed) how is that not going to affect the amount of air flow per minute, in whatever measurement?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Twincharged said:
It was my fault. I was running upwards of 26psi at times;) Still on an SRT motor this is not a problem. Also I was playing with the rev limiter and set it for 7500 rpm and broke a lash adjuster causing a rocker arm to come off.:eek:
Again this isn't an issue with an SRT engine. I guess I have been spoiled.

I have been speaking with alot of the guys in the GM racing crowd and they will admit that this engine needs spome serious beefing up in order to run 500whp and any kind of RPM. Either way I am going to see what I can get away with on my car.
This was also posted from twincharged

21 - 40 of 56 Posts