Cobalts SS banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Here is his list of mods
*** PowerPaq, Garrett 3076WGR Turbo, Sprint Springs, Golden Eagle head studs, Titan Headgasket, 3.8" pulley, custom small tensioner pulley, BIG Injectors, HKS 4" Megaflow filter, 8k HIDs, Drag Wing, Custom 3" Mandrel Stainless exhaust, E-Boost2 EBC, AEM Eugo Wideband, 2-10" AudioBahn in custom Isobaric box, Memphis amp. ***

·
Registered
106 Posts
Blue04RedLine said:
Cubic feet per minute (correct?). So if it's flow or air in cubic feet per minute, how is a larger area inside the turbo (when upgrading to a larger one than is already installed) how is that not going to affect the amount of air flow per minute, in whatever measurement?
Upgrading to a larger turbo is going to increase the compression of air with out having to increase psi.

For simplicity we will think of air in blocks. Say a t25 will force 3 blocks of air through at 15psi. If you were to upgrade to a t3 you will force 5 blocks of air at 15psi.

Hopefully that makes sense

·
Registered
492 Posts
JMac88 said:
Upgrading to a larger turbo is going to increase the compression of air with out having to increase psi.

For simplicity we will think of air in blocks. Say a t25 will force 3 blocks of air through at 15psi. If you were to upgrade to a t3 you will force 5 blocks of air at 15psi.

Hopefully that makes sense
JMac88 said:
Maybe this would help,
PSI is a pressure, it could also be measured in Kpa, ect...

Compression would be a volume, which could be measured in say N, NM, ect...
I get what you're saying, and it sounds like the same thing I'm saying. I understand the difference between pressure measurments and volume measurements. All I was saying is that the larger area of the bigger compressor wheel will force through more air even at a lower psi in a big turbo than a smaller one could force through in a higher psi setting. Just like the blocks. Are we not saying the same thing?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Frankly I would take a car pushing 750cfm @ 16psi then 450cfm @ 24psi. PSI is nothing more then the measurement for resistance of air flow. If you change the volumetric effiency of the engine for the better then the PSI will go down on an engine with the same turbo at the same CFM. This is because you increase the engine's ability to pump air better, therefore reducing the resistance of air flow. This is why we get ported heads and cams.

Get a ported head and cam on a Redline/ColbaltSS and not change the pulley and you will notice that you are making less boost, but you are going much faster ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Oh and here are those pics

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
JMac88 said:
yes, i think we are saying the same thing, but the original argument was that compression was part of PSI
I could't even remember what we were not agreeing on.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts