Cobalts SS banner

41 - 60 of 172 Posts

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
The meeting between JBP and Distinct Images was held this past Monday. We now know where most of the items are going in the engine bay.

The two turbos will both be mounted directly to the frame, so they will be in there really solid.
The picture with the grey box is the mock up for our intake manifold/intercooler and there is plenty of room for it.
There is also a picture of the placement of the turbo header and the ample room we have for it.
A couple of pictures show just how far we had to push the engine towards back to allow for the steering rack to work as well as stay under the hood. Remember the plan is to stay as stock as possible for all body components. The one exception so far is the addition of heat extractor vents that will be added to the fenders.
I have also included some more pics of the rear. In those pics you can see how low I will be sitting once this is all done.
You will also notice the rear coilovers are missing but that is simply because of the soon to be welding of the roll cage.
And of course the icing is the slicks for the race track. :)

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Holy shit dude, I'm feelin the meats on the back!

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Regardless of color, that son of a gun is gonna be fast!

·
Registered
7 Posts
well red is deff. the fastest color :D lol'

very very awesome project!!! i love it

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Well after 10 months of waiting, I can finally announce that my Custom Billet Crankshafts are finished and arrived yesterday. :D
Other good news is that the RWD conversion is 95% complete. The car has actually been transfered from Distinct Images Custom Auto Builders to ___ so ___ can fabricate the turbo mounting brackets as well as the custom intake manifold/intercooler. Other components that will be installed in the engine bay will also mounted so the final touches on the rollcage can be done once the car returns to Distinct Images Custom Auto Builders.
While the next phases of work are being done at *** there will be extensive videos taken every step of the way.

For all who are wondering how the two turbos are going to work together.
We are using a system never before used on a car. If this system works then *** will make quite the name for themselves.
This system is a digital system that is computer contriolled and I don't mean PCM/BCM. There are two Turbo Switching Valves controlled by a transducer. These switching valves will change the flow of the exhause gases depending on the RPM's. Obviously the GT-28 will operate first and help bring the GT-45 to full spool. The GT-28 will also be what provides me with streetable power levels with minimal lag.
On top of this system is another system that monitors the TSV's and every other component to ensure that everything is running properly. In effect, the car will perform a POST (Power On Self Test) every time the car is started. If all crucial components aren't working the car will either not start or limit power.

·
Registered
550 Posts
wow good luck with your project, its been a long time coming, glad to see its almost complete

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Update Pictures

Here are the latest pictures of the project, which is finally coming together.
The rwd conversion is 95% complete and the car is now having the engine/transmission/turbo mounts fabricated.

This shows the side exhaust which was necessary because of the rear axle and floor height.

These are of the custom crankshaft which has finally arrived.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Here are some more pictures from the shop doing the RWD conversion. These ones are taken during the project and actually proceed the last batch of pictures that I posted.

More pics of the sexy side exhaust

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
as always looks great! I come by here to see different pictures then at ... well you know.... lol thanks ROD! HOTROD!!
Well that other place usually gets the update first because the mortuary atmosphere in here, is too exciting to handle.:p

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looks awesome, question though; how much power are you hoping to put down?

Reason I ask, that's a big transmission and a lot of drivetrain loss for a 4cyl to turn with any sort of force.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Looks awesome, question though; how much power are you hoping to put down?

Reason I ask, that's a big transmission and a lot of drivetrain loss for a 4cyl to turn with any sort of force.
1,000rwhp. I am thinking it might just work.

Here are the latest pictures of my project. I took these last weekend when I was in Toronto visiting the car.
I should have new pictures later next week as the turbo piping, intake manifold/intercooler, bellhousing and engine should all be completed very soon. :)

The first four are a comparison of two SS/SC's

Here are the two turbos side by side

Side by side shot of stock/custom cranks

41 - 60 of 172 Posts