Cobalts SS banner

121 - 140 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
wish u all the best my heart almost snaped in 2 reading all that but made me think twice of posibley doing the RWD conversion down the road. i hope u hit the loto all money flow issues will be gone! ill woo u to win it cause i wana see this thing rollllin!

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Sorry to hear that and good luck. Maybe some magic will work its way to you.
wish u all the best my heart almost snaped in 2 reading all that but made me think twice of posibley doing the RWD conversion down the road. i hope u hit the loto all money flow issues will be gone! ill woo u to win it cause i wana see this thing rollllin!
Thanks guys. :)

·
The HepKitty
1,329 Posts
I don't know what to say..... I have had my share of projects that cost some cash...but yet they all paled in comparision to this one.....

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
I don't know what to say..... I have had my share of projects that cost some cash...but yet they all paled in comparision to this one.....
I also don't know what to say at times considering how much I have spent. I could never have imagined years ago that I would spend so much on a car and not be finished. The next 6 weeks is going to be stressful.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
The DART cylinder heads finally arrived. I guess the waiting wasn't so bad because they are some of the very first batch of CNC'ed DART heads that have 72 CC combustion chambers. These heads flow 330 cfm from the factory and by the time Resnick finishes with them he expects that they will flow over 400 cfm. Resnick had these specifically built to easily handle our 8,000 rpm redline. :cool:

On top of these heads, I am told that the LSX block has been purchased and should arrive by the end of June (finally). :fingers-crossed:

Perfectly CNC'ed combustion chambers :cool:

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
those heads are bangin!
Thanks, :) I was definitely very pleased when we looked them over and compared them to some 'lesser' ones.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #130

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #131 (Edited)
UPDATE July 2010

UPDATE for July 10th, 2010

Here we are in July and there has been some movement on the car, movement that is worth writing about.

I am however going to start off with what hasn't happened yet, the block is still not in the shops (or my) possesion. Supposedly it is in the same province and come this week I will get confirmation.

The stuff worth writing about starts off with the fact that the seats have finally arrived. Yes these are the 4th set of after market seats that I have had. The 1st set didn't fit the car because of the higher floor, the 2nd set were aluminum Kirkey racing seats which were just not going to work for street driving, the 3rd set were too tight on my hips and no room for my shoulders between the upper bolsters. This 4th set are SCAT Rally seats covered in a black vinyl. The seats are a retro type seat which is both comfortable and fit me great. Right now they are all black but I may have red inserts done if the budget allows it.

The next bit of news is the intercooler, which is now mounted. As the pictures will show, the intercooler sits right behind the lower vent. It has had the bracketry made and is mounted solidly. The radiator will now be mounted behind although we will need to make further modification to the upper rad support to accomodate the radiator as well as the drysump's 8 qt tank that sits right behind the rad.

Speaking of the drysump kit, we have chosen to go with the kit as I had one for the LSJ and there were no buyers for it. I cleaned up the parts that I couldn't use and shipped them back to A.R.E. (drysump.com - Oil pump sump, Sump pump well, Replace sump pump). The owner and I agreed upon a credit amount and he is now assembling the parts I need to complete the kit for the LSX. I do want to say that A.R.E.'s owner has been very good with helping me out and I will be very happy to place his company's name on my car.

I picked up the wheelie bar kit today, which is a Pro kit made out of chromoly. The kit is a 70" kit which will be trimmed down to 62.5" and once the kit is assembled, I will have it powder coated black, to keep with the red/black theme of the car. I also received the hardware for the Pro Wing kit. Because there is no wing for the Cobalt in stock form, Resnick will make up the wing using this Quarter Max hardware.

The mounting for the fuel pump has been set as where JBP had put it didn't work due to the instructions that came with the pump. JBP obviously didn't read the instructions but that's nothing new.

The last, but not least, item is the arrival of my Wilson Billet Intake Manifold/high-flo fuel rails. I have to say that this is one very cool looking intake. The finish is amazing and it made taking quality pictures a bit hard. From the outside finish to the inside runners, everything is from billet aluminum. Even the fuel rails are billet. The pictures here don't really do the manifold justice but you will get the idea. Resnick says that this manifold is going to require a 98MM thr***le body, so there goes my gas mileage. :eek:

Okay, I have rambled enough and I likely forgot something but now it is time for some pictures.
Custom Intercooler

SCAT Rally Seat

Pro Series Wing kit hardware

Wheelie bar kit

Wilson Billet Intake Manifold

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
i always get happy when i see updates on this. lol. when u get it done ur going for a road trip to Maryland right lololol haha. :D
If I can find a way to take it on a tour of race tracks, I will. :D

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Bitter sweet UPDATE

Today's update is good news but sadly it feels hollow for me because yesterday morning one of my special buddies, Angel (cat, 12 years old), died in my arms. I would have traded both of my Cobalts to have prevented her death.

UPDATE

Resnick is feeling better (major surgery) and has been doing some work on the car. A very important piece of the puzzle has arrived and it is in the following pictures. Who will be the first one to pick it out????

The postioning of most things has been done. The drysump kit is installed as is the oil cooler. The long road has been shortened some and it was really encouraging when I dropped by the shop today. Sadly the good news doesn't make up for the loss of my 'Little Buddy', so no indepth descriptions of the pictures. Angel and her 2 sisters have been with me through many ups and downs these past 12 years and I will always remember her.

Angel & I

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Mini Update

The wheelie bars are finally mounted as well as cut to their final size. Next I will need to have to make some adjustments to the back skirt. The wheelie bars won't allow for the back piece to remain totally stock so I need to figure out how to proceed. I also had an issue with the rear fenders not being out far enough to allow for clearance from the larger slick now on the back. Instead or reworking the rear fenders, $$$, I ordered another set ofWeld Racing Prostars that has a bigger backspace. The original Prostars will be kept and used for the street rubber as finding a rim that size is hard enough without having to spend a lot more $$$.

This next week should see the arrival of most of the remaining parts needed for this project. Included in these parts will be the new crossmember from Art Morrison Enterprises, This new cross member will enable the wheel base to be lengthened to 105"s making the car to be that more stable while on the track.

Here are some pics taken on my IPhone.

The parachute was a bit of a pain to install because of the need to be able to open the trunk, as that is were my gas tank is.

The pic of the throttle body makes me wonder about gas mileage. :lol:

The Painless control box is mounted and will be wired when the car comes home. I will also be installing some system kill switches for anyone who thinks they may enjoy taking her for a spin. :nono: ;)

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #137

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow man this has come a long way and idk how i just now found out about it. i just read your story on the website and was wondering if you are still doing the donation thing for when the car is completed.

and also when will the car be run?

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Wow man this has come a long way and idk how i just now found out about it. i just read your story on the website and was wondering if you are still doing the donation thing for when the car is completed.

and also when will the car be run?
Thanks for taking the time to read the story.:)

The donation thing is still happening and I will need to figure out how to raise interest/funding for when the car is complete so that I can run it regularly.

Our local raceway's first 'test & tune day' is April 8th and I expect to be there for that as well as the street legal races that same night. There are actually some NHRA racing that weekend which I hope we are ready to enter. I will know about that as we get closer to that date. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Okay well id like to make a donation for the poster for one :) and to have my name on the car :) and for three just because i feel your pain throughout the whole process you have been through so should i just make the donation thru your website or what?

121 - 140 of 173 Posts