Cobalts SS banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey,

I posted the exact same thing over at .net as well because I'm trying to get as many inputs and views on this as I can to make sure I didn't pull a stupid. Really hoping I didn't but here goes... :)

I was out driving my LS around tonight and had some jackass in a Mazda 6 in my trunk the whole damned way down the road. Finally on the next set of lights I'd had enough and decided it was time to finally open up the Cobalt for the first time. First through fourth (stopped in fourth at 4k cause I was going fast enough as it was) I shifted the car at 5000RPM consistently and did NOT slip the clutch...in and out...smoother than I thought I'd manage with standard. I wasn't power shifting it either...I made sure to take the foot right off the gas each time because I'm not ready for those WOT shifts and I KNOW that's not good for your tranny, clutch and engine.

After I pulled my head out of my ass I remembered that the engine was still fairly new and started worrying I may have possbily harmed the engine or transmission in one way or another. Basically my car is at 4990km but I've never taken it above 4000RPM and that was in fourth gear when passing on the highway. Is there any possibility I did any damage to my car or is it safe to say my engine should be more than broken in at this point and I can open it up on occasion from this day forward :rolleyes:?

On a side not, in case anyone wondered the outcome I found out it was the 3.0L version so I inevitably got my ass handed to me...but I was impressed with how hard the car ran even with the A/C on...I'm sure a few more thousand and she'll be ready to give 'er all hell. Man could I feel the torque though :D! Can't wait to take the thing to the track next year and run my friend in his SIR.

Thanks,

Permafried-

·
Registered
115 Posts
You will get a lot of debate both ways, but I believe that new cars today don't really need to be broken in gently. Actually, I believe it's bad to break it in gently. You should give the car a few good 2nd and 3rd gear pulls to redline out of the dealer parking lot and let the engine slow the car down without using the brakes. It helps the rings seal better which in turn helps the engine last longer. Now as for your dilemma, you didn't pull a stupid. You probably should have done that a little earlier than 3100.6 miles (yes I converted it). And please tell me you changed your oil before the first 500 miles.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
XxGarbSxX said:
You will get a lot of debate both ways, but I believe that new cars today don't really need to be broken in gently. Actually, I believe it's bad to break it in gently. You should give the car a few good 2nd and 3rd gear pulls to redline out of the dealer parking lot and let the engine slow the car down without using the brakes. It helps the rings seal better which in turn helps the engine last longer. Now as for your dilemma, you didn't pull a stupid. You probably should have done that a little earlier than 3100.6 miles (yes I converted it). And please tell me you changed your oil before the first 500 miles.
The dealership where the car came from prior to being shipped to London took care of this as far as I was informed. If I'm not mistaken after the break-in in the factory they change the oil prior to shipping the car...I've checked it myself and have no filings etc. in the oil as far as I can tell. The more I thought about it I figure the manual says a break-in period of 850km (I'm too lazy to convert back tonight lol) so I would assume GM knows their engines well. My friend recommended 5000km before giving it hell and I almost made it...just jumped the gun a little bit ;). Car seemed to run fine during and after the pulls and I'm taking it out tomorrow to make sure it still sounds/runs fine...next oil change comes up in about 100km or so (even though the oil life system is still at 53%) and the oil still looks perfect.

I know it's going to be mixed responses that's why I posted in multiple places to see what I get back. Thanks for your feedback :).

Permafried-

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good stuff...I now have permission to beat the hell outta my car lol :D! I think I woulda put more wear on my brakes then anything tonight, on two occasions I had cars instantly change lanes while I was accelerating because a car was turning in front of us...a note to everyone...the braking system in the LS works as advertised....I went from 80km/h -> 20km/h in absolutely no time flat...much better than my Cavalier used to be :).

Like I said, I'm intending to get the oil changed next week or the week after so if there is the possibility of anything still floating around in my oil pan it should be gone after that. That's why I figure this will be a one time deal until I at least get that done and put a few more KM on...the car didn't seem to complain though it just happily kept on rolling as I shifted through the gears...nothing like the sound of the Eco screaming in your ear at higher RPMs ;).

Good to hear the tranny is still holding up...I guess having a Camaro would make babying it a little difficult though! Thanks again :)

Permafried-

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Permafried- said:
Good stuff...I now have permission to beat the hell outta my car lol :D! I think I woulda put more wear on my brakes then anything tonight, on two occasions I had cars instantly change lanes while I was accelerating because a car was turning in front of us...a note to everyone...the braking system in the LS works as advertised....I went from 80km/h -> 20km/h in absolutely no time flat...much better than my Cavalier used to be :).

Like I said, I'm intending to get the oil changed next week or the week after so if there is the possibility of anything still floating around in my oil pan it should be gone after that. That's why I figure this will be a one time deal until I at least get that done and put a few more KM on...the car didn't seem to complain though it just happily kept on rolling as I shifted through the gears...nothing like the sound of the Eco screaming in your ear at higher RPMs ;).

Good to hear the tranny is still holding up...I guess having a Camaro would make babying it a little difficult though! Thanks again :)

Permafried-
Yeah even a v-6 makes it hard.. :) I mean it survived 4 years of me.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
87camaroPA said:
Yeah even a v-6 makes it hard.. :) I mean it survived 4 years of me.
And people say domestics don't last as long as imports...pfft...whatever :D.

This is one reason I stayed away from the SS...my foot is WAY too heavy for the S/C, that and I wasn't too sure what I was going to do with it in the snow :eek:. I'm trying to make the Cobalt last as long as my Cavy did (8 years) and I beat the hell out of the Cavy the whole time I had it, not to mention it survived the Canadian winters. I figure the Cobalt can make it since it's built solid and just feels overall more refined than what I'm used to...just want to make sure I don't make an early mistake that's going to cost me down the road :).

Permafried-

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
on my redline I spun the tires all the way out of the parking lot. engines now are built to such extreme perfection in terms of measurments they dont really have a set in time. This is an old thing that you needed to do on cars becuase the rings needed to set becuase they piston/cylinder were not as close as they are now. They used the rings to seal the chamber. Where as now the piston is almost so perfect that the rings are simply a system of backup and oil scrapers.

·
Registered
543 Posts
and with the fact that alot of newer cars are coming with the engines "pre-borken" in already from the factory. Not all, but I've heard of a few.....

·
Registered
33 Posts
XxGarbSxX said:
First day out of the dealership I took it up the 404 and rolled the throttle up to redline in second, third and fourth. Most important part of a break in is the first 50 kms or so. I've broken in all of my cars and bikes this way and all of them ran like champs. Going easy on your car doesn't help the break in and can actually do worse to the car as the rings don't get "hammered" and seat properly, an engine works more efficiently at higher rpm.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ninja44 said:
First day out of the dealership I took it up the 404 and rolled the throttle up to redline in second, third and fourth. Most important part of a break in is the first 50 kms or so. I've broken in all of my cars and bikes this way and all of them ran like champs. Going easy on your car doesn't help the break in and can actually do worse to the car as the rings don't get "hammered" and seat properly, an engine works more efficiently at higher rpm.
I forget what the name is for your type of break-in but my buddy mentioned it to me once I'd put almost 3000km on the car. He does the same thing with his bikes and cars as well and he's had no problems with them at all. My biggest fear of driving it hard when I first got the car was I'd been driving stick for a grand total of 1 hour and 15 minutes when I picked the car up so I was more concerned with stalling, hills, changing gears, etc. I finally feel comfortable with it so I feel more comfortable opening it up...I know I'm not going to grind the gears, toss a rod, etc. :D.

I drove the living hell out of my Cavalier when I first got it used (55,000 on it) because the car had absolutely 0 go which makes me wonder if whoever owned it before me constantly babied the car. I don't intend to go to that extreme but being my first new car I don't wanna screw it up early on either :).

Thanks again to everyone, I'm feeling better and better with every response :).

Permafried-

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yea, on my way out of my dealership, I left 2 nice black marks leading onto the road with my redline (201km on it to be exact). Oh and I think the sc will just be fun in winter, I mean, 2 foot snow drifts, -50C and colder air, should be blast!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
XeroState said:
Yea, on my way out of my dealership, I left 2 nice black marks leading onto the road with my redline (201km on it to be exact). Oh and I think the sc will just be fun in winter, I mean, 2 foot snow drifts, -50C and colder air, should be blast!
Ya if you get your car dyno'd at any time of year it should be in the dead middle of winter...that S/C will be be its' glory :D.

Permafried-

·
Registered
360 Posts
"Whip it, slap it, rub it down...."
That's all you need to know about breaking in a modern engine.
Hell, I've seen people whip out a crate motor, slap oil in it, and then hook it up to a dyno and run the shit out of it at max RPMs.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
iball said:
"Whip it, slap it, rub it down...."
That's all you need to know about breaking in a modern engine.
Hell, I've seen people whip out a crate motor, slap oil in it, and then hook it up to a dyno and run the shit out of it at max RPMs.
Lol just like a kid on XMas morning. I figured with newer engines it wasn't a huge deal...just figured better safe than sorry. I took it in today and had the oil changed and it hit exactly 5000km as I pulled into the service dept. to get it done...how perfect did that work out :D! The oil was still really clean, could tell it had a few thousand on it but it wasn't like soup or anything. There were no shavings or anything in it and they checked the oil pan for me before I left...she's clean :D. I still don't want to go by the oil life system all the time, it was at 53% when I got my oil changed...now I don't know if it's just me but putting 10,000km on a single oil change makes me a little nervous, though my Cavy never complained when I let it go for 7 or 8 thousand.

Thanks again for all the help and feedback...I'll sleep that much better tonight :).

Permafried-

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
JDMCivic said:
You're fine dude.

For everything to seat properly, you need to take it through every RPM occassionally.

Just don't tach it out for days on end.
That's my plan...just open 'er up on occasion, save it for when someone is being a jerk or when I head to the track and the car should be more than happy :D. It didn't complain one bit when I was running it, I could still feel it pulling in fourth gear but figured I should behave myself since I was on a city street and it was later at night.

Permafried-

·
Registered
517 Posts
Permafried- said:
That's my plan...just open 'er up on occasion, save it for when someone is being a jerk or when I head to the track and the car should be more than happy :D. It didn't complain one bit when I was running it, I could still feel it pulling in fourth gear but figured I should behave myself since I was on a city street and it was later at night.

Permafried-
Good plan. :thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts