Cobalts SS banner

Water Injection Pictures/ semi "how-to"

5K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  riz906 
#1 · (Edited)
#7 ·
dazednconfused75 said:
Cheaper than nitrous injected into the intake and nearly as effective.
Not even CLOSE. Totally different, you cant really even compare the two. But anyways....

Good job on the install. I'm almost interested in trying this on my GTP to get rid of my KR, even though I already have a downpipe that should get rid of it. Just too lazy to put it on.
And I was going to say I cant believe GM designed such a stupid intake system, but then I remember its GM we're talking about so it really isnt that surprising.

#8 ·
MY GTP 8 U said:
Not even CLOSE. Totally different, you cant really even compare the two. But anyways....

Good job on the install. I'm almost interested in trying this on my GTP to get rid of my KR, even though I already have a downpipe that should get rid of it. Just too lazy to put it on.
And I was going to say I cant believe GM designed such a stupid intake system, but then I remember its GM we're talking about so it really isnt that surprising.

When a 30 shot is sprayed into the intake to cool the charge it's almost the same as water/alky. If not, explain.

#9 ·
Nitrous introduces more oxygen into the intake requiring additional fuel, or else you will run into a lean condition. Probably less so with only a 30 shot, but who pays 500 bucks for a kit and only uses a 30 shot?

I guess the concept is the same, but nitrous is a whole other animal compared to water injection.

#13 ·
Normal air is about 12-16%oxygen, nitrous is 28-32% oxygen, that's why it's the shit, not to mention it's liquid to gas with is always the temp eater. But I always thought that water|alky injection is strickly a temperture controller for compressed air, everyone should know that when you compress air you heat it. So most of the set ups are for turbos, centrifical super chargers because you can pumb it after the compresser. I don't know how effective your setup is with stock boost, but after you turn that sucker up it should help you run after run, but on the m62 I don't see it's purpose, but if you like it. :rolleyes: alky injection was and is used to run higher boost on pump gas, because it acts like higher octane, by lowering intake temps, and prevents detention, by cooling hot spots, much like high octane gases. :cool:

#14 ·
dazednconfused75 said:
I was under the impression that nitrous would cool the air in the intake more effectively that water/alky and allow for more boost without needing bigger injectors etc like water/alky can. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much. Thanks for the info.
Youre correct in thinking that it cools down the intake charge more effectively, but because it is also carrying more oxygen you have to be more careful with it than with alky injection, where the only oxygen being brought in is through the water in the mix, and its not that much compared to nitrous.

DDog, even though most people arent going to plumb this system after the S/C, its still going to be real effective at doing its job. There is alot of heat built up in the S/C, and this system is going to help cool it down by a good measure, and will cool the intake charge before it even gets to the I/C. And with that happening, I think the I/C will also become more effective because there will be less heat it has to transfer, making its job alot easier.
So I wouldnt question this sytem just because its not going to be routed after the S/C.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.