Cobalts SS banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i went to bandimere tonight and met up with 2K2CamaroSS it was good to put a face to the name. Anyway my first run really sucked ass a 17.707 with a 2.78 60 ft i had wheel hop from heel and i have the goofyguy torque brace to boot. the next race was much much better it was a 15.605 with a 2.3 60ft and then my first round i went out with a 15.8 i lost to a modded GTP.

Now 2K2CamaroSS ran cosistant all night as far as i could tell and with his help i was able to get the lower times with his launching tecnique. i ened up leaving before seeing him run again. but i figure he would post his results when he gets the chance.

Now i know these sound like slow times but remember we at at 6000 ft and it was 104 today. most of the races were ran at 95 -98 degrees. so over all i was impressed with how the car performed and it was nice to meet 2K2CamaroSS. Now i just need to figure out the problems with the brace to eleminate the wheel hop.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I went to the track tonight down in Reynolds Georgia. I went 15.21 @98 mph track was prepped fairly well and the tires were at 35 psi. My car on the dyno made 232 FWHP and 198 lbs FWTQ (dynojet). This was bone stock runs w/ nothing what so ever done to the car. Launching from idle with no wheel spin. I tried launching @ 2k rpm and WHOOOAAAAA WHEEL SPIN CRAZY, then tried 1500 rpm and WHOOOAAAAA WHEEL HOP CRAZY i felt like i was on a pogo stick :) . Launching at idle and feathing the clutch with 90% throttle yeilded the best results. Temp was in the low 80's.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It was good to meet you as well :).

These cars have crazy wheel hop from the line. First run I launched around 2k and, well that didn't work out too well, ended up running a 16.0 on that run. Next run feathered the clutch at 1500 rpms and got a [email protected] with a 2.3 60'.

Over all it was pretty much 15.6's all night. I probably could have run a 15.4 in the second round, since I ended up getting a 15.82 @72mph which was hard on the brakes in the traps.

I ended up going to the 3rd round. 1st and 2nd round I knocked out some mustangs, which was a good feeling, lol. But I lost in the 3rd thanx to the wonderful rev limiter ;).

Let me know what goofy guy says about the brace.

Brian

·
Registered
58 Posts
wow i cant believe those times...i went to the track for the first time in my life lastnight, its lester track in rochester new york...my first run i had some hard spinning as i had never run on a track before, but i still pulled a 15.01. I had a few more runs pulling for under a 15, and on my fourth try i hit a 14.97. I ran about 7 times, and my best run was a 14.5 at 96.9, however i had almost no wheelspin out of the whole and a decent r/t. There was another ss there that was running 16.5's and up with horrible wheelspin. Make sure you keep the tires down or you wont even break a 15 stock. If anyone has any doubts ill take a pic of my time sheet and post it for you guys when im at home.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Man, I can't believe what elevation does to your times. You guys need to get to lower ground for a little while, so you can feel the power differance. As far as tire pressure goes, you can break into the 14's with 35 psi. When I ran my personal best of 14.707, I never touched the pressure!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Ronnie Pendergrass said:
I went to the track tonight down in Reynolds Georgia. I went 15.21 @98 mph track was prepped fairly well and the tires were at 35 psi. My car on the dyno made 232 FWHP and 198 lbs FWTQ (dynojet). This was bone stock runs w/ nothing what so ever done to the car. Launching from idle with no wheel spin. I tried launching @ 2k rpm and WHOOOAAAAA WHEEL SPIN CRAZY, then tried 1500 rpm and WHOOOAAAAA WHEEL HOP CRAZY i felt like i was on a pogo stick :) . Launching at idle and feathing the clutch with 90% throttle yeilded the best results. Temp was in the low 80's.
That trap speed is rediculous for that time. It's funny how WRX's are runnin 14.2's at like 97, and you ran a full second slower with a higher trap speed. We've been seeing that as well the the RL's. Someone needs to figure out how to launch these things decently and get the 60' times down, and we'll start seeing the improvement in ET's.

·
Registered
261 Posts
In my 14.707 run my 60ft was 2.16, I think I could have got a better time but I f**k up shifting 2nd to 3rd by missing the shift. That probably cost me at least 2 tenths. Plus that run I had a lower trap speed of 96.1mph compared to a later run where I clocked a [email protected] All kinds of wheelspin on that run. On my best time I did not drop the clutch or lower the tire pressure at all. I also ran a [email protected] at a later date when the air temp was 91 degrees, a track temp mentioned over the loud speaker that the track temp was about 119 degrees! I have much repect for this car and will gain more when fall comes around and hopefully doing 14.4 to 14.5 at the track! Until then I will treat it like a baby. Someday I will post pics. of my time sheets, but for now I am not computer savy enough to post pics. Maybe someday I have someone teach me. :confused:

·
Registered
360 Posts
FWD is a real bitch to launch for low times.
WRX/STi/EVO have AWD which helps a ton with launching, but that drivetrain loss kills them in the end.
Practice makes perfect! Is there an "Official 1/4 Mile Times" thread going yet?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
iball said:
FWD is a real bitch to launch for low times.
WRX/STi/EVO have AWD which helps a ton with launching, but that drivetrain loss kills them in the end.
Practice makes perfect! Is there an "Official 1/4 Mile Times" thread going yet?

i haven't seen a thread yet but maybe the admins can get it started that would be cool but i feel that there should be some ground rules for it first.

on some of the other boards i have belonged to it gets crazy. that is the only reason i suggest some ground rules

·
Registered
360 Posts
SS4ME said:
What happens? Do people start talking crap?
They start posting false times. I figure a good moderator that locks it down and only posts times that have scanned slips emailed to him/her.

·
Registered
58 Posts
lol, u think 185-190 lbs to the front wheels are hard to keep down.....try 250.....its like hell stock....

MM's are between heaven and earth for the srts.......

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
iball said:
They start posting false times. I figure a good moderator that locks it down and only posts times that have scanned slips emailed to him/her.
i agree times are only valid with scanned slips. it is the only way to maderate it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
you guys are in CO..which is 6k feet above sea level you won't run the same as a car a say..10 ft above sea level. and it has more of an effect on a FI car. so don't be so hard on yourself.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh i know what alt does to cars. i really was happy with my times (for the alt) in nov i will run down to heartland raceway in topeka ks and see how she does there. i know i lost 1/2 a sec with my other car and it had boost problems at the time of the runs. i just need to figure out when i can get there and when their TNT night is. anyone up for going once i can figure it all out? that track is like 900ft or so

·
Registered
164 Posts
orange juice said:
Welcome to wheel hop world. Us SRT guys have it bad as well.
Decent motor mounts go a LONG ways toward fixing wheel hop. I made my own motor mounts and had a friend make a transmission mount. I've also added the Rage Traction bushings. Wheel hop is non-existant in my car.

It'll only be a matter of time before these components are available for the Cobalts.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts