Cobalts SS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went and looked at some aftermarket wheels for my SS. They told me that they are 5X110 bolt pattern. Can anyone confirm this? I had a heck of a time trying to find some that I like!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, sorry for the double post... That will teach me to look around a little first!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
While I havnt done it (or even measured it) myself, I was told you can have the Cobalt/Redline hubs drilled out "offset"(using the existing stud holes but offset to move the stud centers 0.17" outward) at a machine shop to accept a standard 0.625" stud knurl and then use regular 1/2 "x 20 tpi studs to bring them out to a more standard 5x4.5" spacing. (might even work with a 7/16" stud?)
Anyone here done it??
Regards
WopOnTour

·
Registered
164 Posts
WopOnTour said:
While I havnt done it (or even measured it) myself, I was told you can have the Cobalt/Redline hubs drilled out "offset"(using the existing stud holes but offset to move the stud centers 0.17" outward) at a machine shop to accept a standard 0.625" stud knurl and then use regular 1/2 "x 20 tpi studs to bring them out to a more standard 5x4.5" spacing. (might even work with a 7/16" stud?)
Anyone here done it??
Regards
WopOnTour
You can also have the machine shop drill a 2nd set of holes 1/2 way in between the others. Then you just put the lugs in whichever holes for the wheels you want to run. This allows you to keep your stock wheels and put them back on if you decide to sell or trade your car in.

Here's a website for a guy that caters to the Ford Thunderbird group:
http://www.geocities.com/stus_cobra/irs_machining.html

·
Registered
137 Posts
MChat said:
You can also have the machine shop drill a 2nd set of holes 1/2 way in between the others. Then you just put the lugs in whichever holes for the wheels you want to run. This allows you to keep your stock wheels and put them back on if you decide to sell or trade your car in.

Here's a website for a guy that caters to the Ford Thunderbird group:
http://www.geocities.com/stus_cobra/irs_machining.html
Of course, that's been done for years but not really practical on the CSS or Redline as if you look on the back side of your hub, you will see the stud flange has "scalloped" reinforcements adjacent to the stock studs. If you drilled holes "in between" they would be seriously weak, as you are going through the thinnest part of the flange. I don't even know if there's enough material to bite the knurling of the stud completely. I wouldn’t recommend it.
WopOnTour
selfinfliction said:
*** you're alive.... alot of people were wandering where you're at lol.... especially over at the redline forums
LOL yup , been on "hiatus" :D (3 weeks of camping,hiking golfing and drinking) Now get your *ss back to work!- WOT

·
Registered
164 Posts
WopOnTour said:
Of course, that's been done for years but not really practical on the CSS or Redline as if you look on the back side of your hub, you will see the stud flange has "scalloped" reinforcements adjacent to the stock studs. If you drilled holes "in between" they would be seriously weak, as you are going through the thinnest part of the flange. I don't even know if there's enough material to bite the knurling of the stud completely. I wouldn’t recommend it.

Ah, I was completely unaware of this. Time for a company to step up and make some aftermarket hubs... or do what was discussed earlier in the thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts