Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my thread title implies, I'm curious as to what brand you guys use for all things automotive.

NOTE: Do NOT turn this thread into a "Why do you use them? X brand SUCKS!".

Just post what brands you use, and if you feel like it, why you use them.

I'll start.

Car Manufacturers: Chevy, Dodge, Pontiac.
I'm a fan of them all because they have the cars I'm interested in, plus all of the five cars I've owned were the above brands, and almost every truck my father has owned while I've been alive has been a Dodge or Chevy.
'96 Chevrolet Beretta Z26,
'97 Dodge Avengere ES,
'91 Dodge Daytona Shelby,
'91 Dodge Daytona C/S Competition Series,
'94 Pontaic Grand Prix.

Under the hood:
Valvoline Oil
Fram Oil Filters
K&N Intakes/Air Filters.

(All of those rubbed off on me, it's what my dad always uses)

Exhaust:
Borla (personal favorite)
Flowmaster (On my dads old '96 Ram Sport, sounded MEAN)

Tires:
BFG
Cooper (Once again, fav. of my father)
Michelin
Pirelli

Suspension:
Eibach Springs/Coilovers (personal preference)

Car Stereo:

Head Units:
Kenwood (Personal favorite)
Pioneer
I will NOT use anything other than the above two makes. I've had nothing but great experiences with both brands.

Speakers:
Polk (Incredible sound for the price)
Infinity Kappa

Amps/Subs:
Rockford Fosgate
Audiobahn Amps

Underbody Neons (Tasteful if not overkilled)
Streetglow Gold Series

Car Washes/Wax
Anything by Meguiars.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Car Manufacturer: Chevy, Pontiac
I grew up around Chevy's.Here are all the Cars I've owned:
198? Honda Civic CRX si
95 Volkswagon Jetta City
99 Pontiac Grand Am GT (Wifes car)
2000 Chevy S-10 ZR2 (I loved this truck,but family outgrew it)
02 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 40th Ann. (currently driving,beautiful car,it will move)
05 Chevy Malibu LT V6 (Wifes car, this car is suprisingly quick)
05 Chevy Cobalt SS (Coming soon)

Under the hood:
Valvoline Oil
Fram Oil filters
K&N

Tires:
Goodyear
Firestone/Firehawk (I grew up around Akron, Ohio. aka the "Rubber city" those are like home brands)

Head units:
I am really liking JVC right now

Speakers:
JBL
Bose(they sound sweet in my Grand Prix)

Car Care:
Soaps & waxes, anything by Mothers
Tires, Black Magic tire wet.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Cars:
1990 Honda Civic
1996 Volkswagen Jetta TREK

Under the hood:
Castrol Syntec 5w-30 oil
AEM intakes
Bosch Platinum plugs (VW OEM)
Fram or VW OEM filters

Exhaust:
Borla
Magnaflow
GReddy

Tires:
Toyo Proxes
Khumo Ecstas

Suspension:
Eibach
Tein

Car Audio:
Meh, whatever sounds good. I'm not too savvy on car audio.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Chevy,(duh) pontiac, dodge (anything with a hemi,and the turbo daytona)

under the hood
oil- Custom my grandpa and dad use to have a oil buisness but they had to go out of it b/c they couldnt use lead in the oil anymore so we need a substitute for it and just havent had time to find one.. but i still use it hendrix motors (nascar wants to use it we sent them a sample of it and they asked if we had a substitute for the lead but we dont yet)
Filter- K&n only
optimal battery
boche sparkplugs <--spell check on boche
and good ol Fram oil filter (just b/c ive always used them)

Sound

Strickly kenwood headunits (produce Very nice sound)
speakers alpine/audiobahn/pioneer
Wires- competition platnium series

underbody neons

Like uwilluz i USE to run streetglow. but since i met phil ( a guy from cali)
he has these Sweet neons oznium good price cheap and are bright clear colors like red is RED not a pinkish glow like i got from my streetglow ones (not bashing just facting)
www.oznium.com <-- thats the site if u wish to check him out..

·
Registered
67 Posts
indeed

yep good ol daytona was my first car learned everything from it.. how to drive manual how to fix alot of things .. and best of all.. stunt driving! but that prolly wasnt the best idea seeing how i smashed my car trying to whip a 360 between to sement pillars:( i was practicing between cones.. doing it perfect like 15 times in a row then i try it and SMASH!!!! oh well:( only paid $500 for the car i guess

·
Registered
543 Posts
Dodge, Chevy, Mitsu, Ford... in that order

Cars owned, me and wife:
'87 Camaro Z28
'68 Chevy Pickup
'93 Mustang Cobra
'95 Mustang GT 5.0
'01 Mazda Protege'
'03 Mitsu Lancer
'05 Dodge SRT-4

under the hood:
Mobil1, all K&N Filters oil and air, Edelbrock, Holly,
MSD, Mopar Perf, Dart, Lunati, etc.

Exhaust:
Flowmaster, Borla

Tires:
BFG's, Cooper Cobra's, Pirelli

Suspension:
Eibach for cars, Skyjacker for trucks

Stereo:
Alpine
Pioneer Premier
Clarion

Speakers:Subs:
JL Audio, Kicker Solo-Baric's

Amps:
MTX, the old RF Punch series, JL Audio

Neons:
-none-

Wash/Waxes:
-mother's

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
SS-Boyz said:
how to fix alot of things

.. and best of all.. stunt driving! but that prolly wasnt the best idea seeing how i smashed my car trying to whip a 360 between to sement pillars:( i was practicing between cones.. doing it perfect like 15 times in a row then i try it and SMASH!!!! oh well:( only paid $500 for the car i guess
How to break some stuff to huh?!? Just kiddin man that sucks!
Id like to see a turbo daytona, never seen one. They look quite interesting. From what I see I like them.

Automobiles:GM
Audio:Alpine
Exhaust:Flowmaster, Borla
Induction:K&N
etc.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CoBIZZLE said:
Id like to see a turbo daytona, never seen one. They look quite interesting. From what I see I like them.
What's not to like? 152hp, 210 ft.lbs. Getrag 5.spd tranny!

My daytona

Keep in mind that my car was neglected by the previous owner. Looks like shit, runs like the person who smelled it. haha

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
Yeah I see what you mean by neglected, and I also see why you wanna fix it up. The potential you say that thing has is pretty impressive!!! I'm definitely impressed by that car smokin a stock SRT-4! I sure would love to have been drivin it when it did!!! That would really be awesome! I can just imagine the looks on their faces!

I mean really, the interior wouldn't be that bad to fix up, Sparcos or Recaros would do for nice front seats reapholster the rear seats, carpet from the factory while you were changin the seats, etc. Really dont htink it would take that much. Not sure on the exterior, haven't ever really dealt with autobody. I think it would be a good idea to "pimp that ride!" Sorry for the corny term, I had to. I tell ya, you could make one hell of a sleeper with that car!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Haha yeah I know!

I stripped the interior myself though. Left all four seats and the dash intact, plus the center console so I have a place to rest my arm between shifts.

Stripping the car saved close to 300lbs, and we all know that 100lbs=10bhp.

I've decided to NOT fix this car/body. I'm going to rip out the engine/tranny, dash, seats, and pumpers (16" wheels) and then junk the Daytona.

The transmission is an A568, one of the strongest, most reliable, most desirable, and easy shifting transmissions made for 84-92 turbo dodges. It has been proven to handle over 400hp reliably.

I'm going to rip that tranny out and rebuild it w/ a posi, rebuild the 2.5L engine up to around 350hp, most likely w/ the help of a T3/T4 hybrid turbo and a massive intercooler, then drop in in good old 1987 Shelby Lancer #071.

Talk about a sleeper. I don't know if you've ever seen a Shelby Lancer, but do a google on 1987 Shelby Lancer.

That's going to embarass quite a few people.

As for smoking a stock SRT-4, I can't say that I "smoked" them, but from 15mph-90mph, they were a car and a half from my rear bumper.

Let's do a comparison.

SRT-4 Stock: 230hp, 250lb.ft.

My Daytona: Stock 152hp, 210lb.ft.

G-valve to increase boost from 7 to 14.5: 30hp proven (that's only 4 hp per pound increase)
Full 2.5" exhaust no cat... let's say conservative 15hp increase.
Lose 300lbs of interior weight, equivalent of +30hp.

So that brings a stock srt-4 to 230hp/250ft.lbs.
And my Daytona (guessing, never dynoed) to around 200-220hp and probably close to 250-260ft.lbs. in a car that weights roughtly 2500lbs. Now add in the fact that I powershift as well and it's bye-bye stock SRT-4!

Once again, those are guesses, I've never dynoed the car, I'm basing my calculations on proven results on other 2.5L engines with the above mods.

Also, I'm not talking crap about SRT-4's. Once again, I love the cars, we have 8 or 9 in our club. My club president has only a Stage 1 kit and full 3" exhaust and all I see is his taillights.

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
Im too lazy for all that! Ha! I would just fix up the Daytona. Think I could find one cheap cause I'm fixin to be commutin to school (possibly) and I think that would be a pretty cool car to have around!

I'll do a search on that Lancer too, is that another turbo Dodge??!?

...guess I'll find out on the search huh? lol

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
I just now looked up the Shelby Lancer!! I didn't realize that Shelby actually meant that CARROLL SHELBY DESIGNED THE CAR!!!! That makes it awesome in itself! 7.2 0-60 isnt bad at all for a car from that time period!!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
actionjackson said:
How does removing weight add horsepower? Fucking ricers.

Ok, Tony Montana wannabe.

Let me explain something to you so you can understand.

Losing/gaining 100 pounds in weight is the equivalent of gaining or losing ten horsepower.

I NEVER said that losing weight adds horsepower.

and you said it yourself....
actionjackson said:
100lbs= ~.1 off an e/t.
What else would make you go .1 faster? Adding ten horsepower maybe? Indeed.

Love your attitude. Oh wait, I forgot something......

FUCKING IDIOT!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts