Cobalts SS banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another question concerning the manuel trans.

In what gear should I be when going 25 mph, 35 mph, and 60, to be safe that is ?

Thanks for all the help in my last post.

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
Just watch your RPM and keep it at a peaceful medium you dont want your engine to be screamin doin 60 cuz you are ridin second gear down the road, keep the rpm's low while daily drivin, just not too low that ya bog it down and/or stall it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
If youre looking to floor it then i'd do it this way

25 - 1st
35 - 2nd
60 - 3rd

if youre cruising, i'd use these gears

25 - 3rd
35 - 3rd/4th
60 - 5th

·
Registered
233 Posts
Zenkat said:
If youre looking to floor it then i'd do it this way

25 - 1st
35 - 2nd
60 - 3rd

if youre cruising, i'd use these gears

25 - 3rd
35 - 3rd/4th
60 - 5th

i'm confused? if hes looking to floor it shouldnt he shift at red line. i havent driven a ss yet, but when i flo0r it in my srt4
30-1st
60ish-2nd
90ish-3rd

·
Banned
200 Posts
Im thinking he means from a roll, like if youre rolling at 60 and youre going to race someone, you should be in 3rd.

·
Registered
233 Posts
oh ic. i get it now. the only one i have truble with is, what do you do at 80-85mph. is it worth it down shifting to 3rd or just go strait to 4th. lol.

·
Registered
233 Posts
it goes to 70? nice, i think my srt only goes a little past 60.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all for responding, by the way, I think 70 mph in 2nd gear might be a bit much.

I'd be alittle scared to blow something.

Thanks again folks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
When I am racing, you know what I do from a rolling start? Say we go from 30mph...im in second gear. We race on the third horn honk. On the second honk, I press the cluth, get the RPM's to around 6000, then when the third beep goes off, just let the clutch out and the car hooks right up.. You don't have to wait for the RPM's to go, 2000,3000,4000...this way the RPM's are already up there and you can get a better jump on the guy.. try it if you want, doesnt hurt the car...been doing it for a long time..

·
Registered
241 Posts
robbyrockets said:
Thanks to all for responding, by the way, I think 70 mph in 2nd gear might be a bit much.

I'd be alittle scared to blow something.

Thanks again folks.
70 is basically redline in 2nd, so youre right, i wouldnt try to hit 2nd at 70.

·
Registered
9 Posts
General rule of thumb: for whatever speed your crusing at, be in the highest gear possible without going under 1500-2000 RPM's...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Neva tried the one two three honk rule i always took the car up to 6300 hit and hit the clutch power shiftin because with your reaction itl b at 6500 which is the cut off. Dont miss gears tho or else ull GRIND EMMM. o n top end of third at red line is 100mph on the ss i did it the other night. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts