Cobalts SS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the manual and also on top of the engine it says mobil 1 5w-30, now correct me if im wrong but, isnt it a big NO NO to use synethetic on an engine during its break in period?

·
Registered
162 Posts
GM sends all its Corvette's out the door with full synthetic oil. I assume they know what their engines need.

·
Registered
259 Posts
oil cap on EVO says "use only mobil 1 full synthetic"... and thats what i do.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Using any other oil than the mobile 1 synthetic or other approved by gm, then you will void your warranty if the dealer finds out. The engine is technically already broken in once it leaves the factory, so synthetic will not hurt it at all.

·
Registered
492 Posts
beerbaron105 said:
so i could "technically" beat on my car even tho it only has 250 km of "road miles" but the engine could have more?
"Technically" you could. Some people that did actually reported seemingly faster cars, and a little better gas mileage, no clue why though. :confused:

·
Registered
106 Posts
GM can't govern what brand you use, as long as it is synthetic. But i would just use mobile anyways because it is one of the best out there

·
Registered
492 Posts
JMac88 said:
GM can't govern what brand you use, as long as it is synthetic. But i would just use mobile anyways because it is one of the best out there
Actually, they can, and do. There are GM approved synthetic oils, and if it's not up to their standards, they don't like it. They put those standards on this engine and their oils for a good reason, and one I would like to respect.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Blue04RedLine said:
"Technically" you could. Some people that did actually reported seemingly faster cars, and a little better gas mileage, no clue why though. :confused:

that can be explained with rings sealing up much better due to the harder driving, its a myth to baby the car, u need to seat the rings properly

1 - 10 of 10 Posts