Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an 06 Chevy Cobalt LT with the 2.2L and manual tranny (and I know some people are going to say, "you should have gotten the SS." I know that it would be the faster and everything so don't bother). Right now it's bone stock, hoping to get air intake and exhaust sometime in the near future. I've been impressed with the power and speed of it but I've driven faster cars (or at least they seemed to be faster).

So I was wondering what cars I should accept races from and what ones I should recognize as faster than me. What is your advise? Especially cars like Neons, Eclipses (esp the 00-04s), Cavaliers, Mustangs, Camaros/Firebirds, Tcs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes the intake and the exhaust would help. try to stay away from cars that are made for speed. out of ur list. Neons this is easy if there stock. At the start they will pull from you but just alittle, then next thing you know your flying passed them. you just have to know what your looking at. all i can say is stay away from camaros, firebirds and eclipese. those are cars that are pretty easy to gain hp from little stuff. my SS got smoked by a firebird. but it would have help if i put it in gear first i guess. lol hope this helps

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the manual I figure will give me an advantage even a lot of the people with riced out Hondas and shit drive auto. What do you think it would take to be a contender vs the eclipses and firebirds and stuff?

·
Site Moderator
3,724 Posts
Well, you really wouldn't stand much of a chance against a Camaro/Firebird, especially if they're V8's. Simply put, the 2.2 in your Cobalt isn't tuned for any sort of high-performance situation. If you want to compete against any high-displacement cars, you're either going to have to race bad drivers or get into really heavy mods.

·
Registered
22 Posts
in order to keep up with them you are going to have to put some big mods in that 2.2. supercharger, or turbo kit, intake, ecu upgrades, maybe some nos. if you want to keep up with them your going to have to pay. if you have an SS s/c you will beable to beat an Eclipses if its got a turbo. i know becasue my SS s/c beat one. iam not sure what kinda mods the eclipses had but it wasnt very good at shifting. it doesnt matter what you do at some point your going to win but again at some point your going to lose. unless you want to put alot of money in your car, go for the smaller cars, other cobalts non s/c or t/c neons, cavs, geo, and hondas.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like how a Geo was suggested as a good car to compete against. Does anybody actually tune those out? I'd laugh so hard if I saw a riced out Geo kick my ass.

·
Registered
22 Posts
well its a slow car and if you lose that race you should just stop there. I dont think a Geo will win, but hey you never know. Other then that it should be a sure win. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well just do a little research I suppose. There's no easy answer.

Just try not to get bent out of shape or hurt if you lose some. That's hard to do sometimes when you are proud of the ride you have. Once you (or anyone) starts modding... who knows... unless you know the person and know what they have.

I took on a Mazdaspeed6 a few days ago. Lucky for me it turned out in my favor. But I had no idea when I started.

I would never rag on ya for just having an LT. Before my 08 SS I had an RSX Type-S. It was pretty fun.

Before that I had a four door 95 Grand Am 4 cyl. It was pretty fun though. I made a bit of a sleeper out of it. lol Not that it was real fast. But it was fun to watch the look on some peoples faces.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would an LT with a Supercharger beat out an SS because it has the bigger engine or does the SS have more than I know it does. Because I never really looked into the SS because I didn't have the extra money to spend on it initially.

·
Super Moderator
1,639 Posts
Would an LT with a Supercharger beat out an SS because it has the bigger engine or does the SS have more than I know it does. Because I never really looked into the SS because I didn't have the extra money to spend on it initially.
Thanks a very good question, iam going to say if you have the same supercharger as the SS and the SS didnt have any mods you should be pretty close. i cant tell you if you would win or lose. sometime it dont matter about the car, its matters whos driving it.:D

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well with an SS/sc, everything is pretty much built around the supercharger, i.e Tuning, gaskets, type of metal, intake placement, exhaust, stuff like that. Putting a SC on a non-SC car takes alot of work to get it tuned just right and not blow a gasket. It'll probably be as fast for a little while if not faster depending on PSI, but stuff is always going wrong. Just my $.02

·
Super Moderator
1,639 Posts
Well with an SS/sc, everything is pretty much built around the supercharger, i.e Tuning, gaskets, type of metal, intake placement, exhaust, stuff like that. Putting a SC on a non-SC car takes alot of work to get it tuned just right and not blow a gasket. It'll probably be as fast for a little while if not faster depending on PSI, but stuff is always going wrong. Just my $.02
You know thats a very good point. i never thought about it like that. i have a 2.0 S/C and the supercharger came with it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I think I would rather Turbo the bitch then supercharge it anyway, which also helped with my decision in an LT over SS. I've always been the tuner type and I had a turbo Probe that I thought was pretty baller.

Ok, so I'm not 100% familiar with superchargers. What sets them apart from turbos? Because from my understanding it's where the thing gets the extra boost from. And that turbos are more efficient boost while superchargers are more powerful boost.

·
Super Moderator
1,639 Posts
it over all give you better hp. and you can use a boost control on it and set it when you want boost, but the down side is i think they mess up alittle easyer.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My friend was telling me today about how he's seen turbos with computers to allow you to turn boost up and down like you were saying about the superchargers. He could be using turbo and supercharger as interchangeable terms but are you sure it's unique to superchargers?

·
Banned
37 Posts
I like how a Geo was suggested as a good car to compete against. Does anybody actually tune those out? I'd laugh so hard if I saw a riced out Geo kick my ass.
personallly i would probly cry haha

i have the same 2.2 and ive beaten several eclipses if ur having trouble with them. but in my opinion im told im a pretty damn good driver and thats a factor in any race. the only mod i have is an aem cai. but soon to have a lot more like 3" exaust magnaflow muffler, weapon r header, fidanza flywheel, slr motorsports chip, and hopefully finaly my stage 2 turbo :] hehe

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well damn, I like the sounds of that! An eclipse is an nice car to say you can beat. I have a friend who's spent $50k on his 2nd Gen Eclipse, but a lot of that is repairs after totaling 2 or 3 times already. It's fuckin' nice though.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts