Cobalts SS banner

Which will be faster, the Cobalt SS or the ION Red Line?

• Cobalt SS

Votes: 220 55.6%
  • ION Red Line

Votes: 85 21.5%
  • They will perform exactly the same.

Votes: 91 23.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently there has been some debate about which vehicle will be faster from the factory. The lighter weight ION Red Line, or the Cobalt SS.

What do you think?

·
Registered
204 Posts
anyone know the actual weight of the redline yet? even if it was a 200lb. diference that's only about .2 in the 1/4 mile. But it will affect it more in the turns as the front will possibly have more push.

Our SRT-4 weighs in between 2964-2998 depending on what we have in it and thats with the driver in it. So in actuality the SRT-4 weighs in at about 2830 lbs.

But I think it was motor trend that trapped 98mph...but we coul;d never go by street measurement tools...lol

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just read something in motor trend or somewhere that says the redline will be a hair faster.. i'll find it and post it later!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well i would really like it if the SS were faster.

We will just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm sure that if the Cobalt SS is listed as faster it's because it's equipped with the LSD. There is no way that a heavier car with bigger heavier wheels and the same powertrain can be faster.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Nocturn said:
The SS is 2993, and the redline is 2983 or something along those lines.
Know whats funny about that Nocturn? the SRT-4 states that it weighs 2970.

Our 2003 SRT-4 weighs 2820.

Would be nice to see how much the Cobalt SS weighs in at. We do have a certified scale locally where we weigh our car.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Saturn Redline Curbweight is 2,930 lbs

Chevy Cobalt SS Curbweight is 2,806 lbs

The Cobalt SS is lighter and I belive they even changed the gearing also on the Cobalt SS to use more of it's powerband, On the RL the you hit the Rev Limitor and you are still gaining power. I have heard that if the RL was able to rev an extra 500 - 700 RPM's that it will reach it's full potention and when you shift you will be able to keep the RPM's above 4,000 where you make real good power. I am not positive and don't quote me if I remember right I heard a someone on the Cobalt Design team say something along the lines that there were canges made to the Cobalt SS to reach more of it's potential power.

Also on the J-Body Orginization there was a good thread/debate on the 2 cars. I suggest reading the thread and make your own opinion about what is faster.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=6&i=68188&t=68188&start=0

·
Registered
119 Posts
Motor Trend ran a 14.5 1/4 at 98mph.

·
Registered
1 Posts
With such closely matched cars, it's going to be more a matter of the driver, the road conditions, etc.

Hope to see some of you guys out on the road! ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
hmmm...I'd like to think the cobalt due to chevy being the flagship company, not saturn, but either way man I can't wait to race one.

1 - 20 of 229 Posts