Cobalts SS banner

Which will be faster, the Cobalt SS or the ION Red Line?

• Cobalt SS

Votes: 220 55.6%
  • ION Red Line

Votes: 85 21.5%
  • They will perform exactly the same.

Votes: 91 23.0%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
FWDRacer1838 said:
hmmm...I'd like to think the cobalt due to chevy being the flagship company, not saturn, but either way man I can't wait to race one.

You also have to remember that Chevy is more of the low end of GM's models. Also GM is placing Saturn more in the the sporty end of the spectrum along with Pontiac.

·
Registered
140 Posts
>> The SS is 2993, and the redline is 2983 or something along those lines.

wow thats not bad at all.. I thought they were going to be around 3200

·
Registered
261 Posts
The gearing on the Rl and the SS are the same. They were supposed to be different but the trans kept breaking on the SS. I can't wait to find my first SS on the street.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Well i was just reading my new(March) Super Street Magazine and the they test drove the Cobalt SS Supercharged and they said it weighs 2,806. But that is them so.... i dont know they may be right but i am not sure who knows the real facts exceipt if you accualy weighted the car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
87camaroPA said:
Well i was just reading my new(March) Super Street Magazine and the they test drove the Cobalt SS Supercharged and they said it weighs 2,806. But that is them so.... i dont know they may be right but i am not sure who knows the real facts exceipt if you accualy weighted the car.
Yeah, the brochures just came into GM yesterday when I went to order my car and that is the weight it lists for the SS. Car and driver had it around 2993lb for some reason....no idea why.

·
Registered
102 Posts
EastCoastZ said:
Motor Trend ran a 14.5 1/4 at 98mph.

If that is the case, it appears to me that either the car didn't hook up very well @ launch, or it really has some power in third gear.

What makes me think this is that I've read about numerous stock SRT-4's running 13.8-14.1's @ 98mph... (verified with videos)

Let's average here:

Stock SRT-4 1/4 mile: [email protected]
Cobalt SS S/C 1/4 Mile:[email protected]

Someone just said they weigh almost the same..... Same trap speed, a half-second ET difference.

Something just doesn't sound right :confused:

Of course, I'm no 1/4 mile pro, but those are my thoughts. ;)

I'd like to see the slip! If someone has the issue, post the 60', 1/8th, 1000' and 1/4 times here please!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Guys... it's the SAME CAR!!!! It has the same short ratio tranny, it has the same supercharger with the same intercooler with the same engine, with the same suspension, with the same wheelbase, with the same equal-length half-shafts, with the same LSD option. If anything makes one faster than the other it's the large wheels vs small wheels. Don't take what most of these mags say. Keep in mind that Sport Compact Car couldn't get the Redline to break a 7 second 0-60, yet C&D did a 6.3. They said the change to 3rd gear was holding it back. Change to 3rd??? How come my Redline dosen't need 3rd to get to 60? The magazines will say that the Redline is not as good as the Cobalt becuase it's a SATURN! If one of you has a stock Cobalt SS at some point, and we run 10 1/4 mile drags, I doubt VERY highly that anyone monitoring the results would be able to tell a difference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Right on Sp00ner
I think that with the near identical similarities with the cars it is going to be driver.

Wait a tick, same same same right? Does that mean they are going to have the same bolt pattern??

·
Registered
454 Posts
UnknownSuperhero said:
Right on Sp00ner
I think that with the near identical similarities with the cars it is going to be driver.

Wait a tick, same same same right? Does that mean they are going to have the same bolt pattern??
I would assume so, but I'd stick with the 17's....

·
Registered
454 Posts
If it was someone that has only driven the car for the day, I can EASILY see how they couldn't get it to hook up off the line. Now, are those numbers for the Neon with the LSD or you don't know? I can EASILY see a .5 ish gain in the quarter with that. I would go to the SCCA for most of the weight issues that people are arguing over, they have nothing to gain or lose by mistating the weight of the car. The Neon actually weighs more than the Redline according to that chart, Dodge says is weighs 2970. SCCA says the Redline weighs 2890. My guess is that they are nearly identical at just over/under 2900 lbs.

uwilluz said:
If that is the case, it appears to me that either the car didn't hook up very well @ launch, or it really has some power in third gear.

What makes me think this is that I've read about numerous stock SRT-4's running 13.8-14.1's @ 98mph... (verified with videos)

Let's average here:

Stock SRT-4 1/4 mile: [email protected]
Cobalt SS S/C 1/4 Mile:[email protected]

Someone just said they weigh almost the same..... Same trap speed, a half-second ET difference.

Something just doesn't sound right :confused:

Of course, I'm no 1/4 mile pro, but those are my thoughts. ;)

I'd like to see the slip! If someone has the issue, post the 60', 1/8th, 1000' and 1/4 times here please!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I say it doesn't matter. The Ion RL looks like a piece of crap. Enough of a reason to get the Cobalt SS/SC when they're that close performance-wise.

·
Registered
48 Posts
yeah, i agree, i really dont like the looks of the ion, period. i didn't mind the earlier saturns (i cant remember what they were called, i'm not really a huge saturn fan). so i would go with the cobalt, just for the looks :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
tecmec said:
yeah, i agree, i really dont like the looks of the ion, period. i didn't mind the earlier saturns (i cant remember what they were called, i'm not really a huge saturn fan). so i would go with the cobalt, just for the looks :D
Good call. :) Plus you won't have to look to the right to see your gauges. And there may not be one of those "lift up on ring to go in reverse" things. God, do they think we need a child safety for that? I don't like these "features" which assume the driver is a moron. At least the reverse lockout should be transparent and automatic.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Scourge said:
Good call. :) Plus you won't have to look to the right to see your gauges. And there may not be one of those "lift up on ring to go in reverse" things. God, do they think we need a child safety for that? I don't like these "features" which assume the driver is a moron. At least the reverse lockout should be transparent and automatic.
A reverse lockout on a 5 speed? What the...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Is that reverse lockout by button/pull-up ring? I can't use my mom's Benz to compare cuz it's an automatic. I have a reverse lockout and essentially, if the car is moving forward, you can't even shift into reverse. I can't move the stick to the right of 5th/6th gear. That's how it should be done.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Scourge said:
I say it doesn't matter. The Ion RL looks like a piece of crap. Enough of a reason to get the Cobalt SS/SC when they're that close performance-wise.
Yea, except for the fact that my 2005 Redline was $18,000 before financing, and the Cobalt SS is $21,000. Maybe more from the sound of it, hey I got an idea lets race my Ion and your Cobalt... oops.. you can only look at pictures of it.. hmm.. The best part of it is they're selling you the same car for a few grand more, and you're standing in line like lemmings at the cliff. Whatever, I drive a Saturn, I guess my manhood is secure enough that I can drive what I like instead of what you Sheeple think is a good car. How come the Redline owners are out trying to help you guys with your cars and finding performance gains, defending the Cobalt (since its the same car) in arguements with ricers. Then I come here, and you guys just bash the Ion. Whatever.. you kids have fun waiting a few more months for the car that has already been put through one price change, and I'll drive my 'crappy Saturn' around with the $4,000 in mods that I can get with the price difference. You're so blinded by the fact that it's a Saturn that you can't even come to grips with the fact that it's the same car. Oh, and if it has the same transmission, like it does, it will have that same reverse lockout, cry about that some more, what's next the plastic panels that don't dent or rust? Idiots. You guys are all defensive over somone calling a Cobalt a Cavilier, yet you do the same thing to the guy driving the Ion that sticks up for ya. Maybe you should get the web site of the RSX troll over on the other thread... you can go ahead and flame me know, but I won't be checking back anyway. I'm sure you'll waste your time typing anyway, ya'll don't seem like you missed too many branches when falling out of the stupid tree....

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Hey SpOOner is it ahrd to read your gauges when driven because if i was Saturn i would have keep the gauges where they belong right in front of the driver. Because when i sat in a Redline i just did not like the gauges where they were. I thought they maybe kind of hard to read them.

21 - 40 of 229 Posts