Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A very annoying problem, they hang very high even after your foot is off the gas, and the clutch is in. Has it got anything to do with the throttle body's electronic drive by wire thing?

·
Registered
347 Posts
welcome to drive by wire. no way around it that i have heard of yet. i hate it too

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You'd think an electronic throttle control would be crisp and fast, not laggy and shitty. :mad:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I assume it can be "fixed" with some ECU work?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Find someone who knows how to tear apart algorithims and make them friends with another chap who edits PCMs. You'd be in business.

You're best off looking in the Nissan camp because that's where I've seen the best throttle response by wire.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Does this problem have any thing to do with the SC? I am still new to Super chargers? I would think there would be somthing like a blow off valve to relieve the boost built up? I could be way out to lunch here just wondering

·
Registered
13 Posts
(SS) with a SS said:
Does this problem have any thing to do with the SC? I am still new to Super chargers? I would think there would be somthing like a blow off valve to relieve the boost built up? I could be way out to lunch here just wondering
Hi,

I'd actually have to say it's probably common between an SS/SC and and SS/NA... I test drove an SS/NA last Friday and found the high Idle to be the same as the SC...

I've test driven an Ion Redline though, and have expirenced no such problems... :confused:

Sean

·
Registered
364 Posts
(SS) with a SS said:

there is a bypass valve in the s/c that can relieve boost

·
Registered
309 Posts
Leafy said:
Hi,

I'd actually have to say it's probably common between an SS/SC and and SS/NA... I test drove an SS/NA last Friday and found the high Idle to be the same as the SC...

I've test driven an Ion Redline though, and have expirenced no such problems... :confused:

Sean
I have a RL and have this problem, now I have never driven an SS so I don't know how bad it is, but when I am just casually shifting gears (no forcing, just a nice pace) the rev's maybe drop 100rpm or so, they seem to hang.

·
Registered
306 Posts
what I don't understand is why is this a big deal? Your saying you don't want the rpm's to hang high for your next shift for the most power when the cluth is let go in the next gear? I like it and it makes for smooth shifting in normal driving situations too...my 2 cents I guess

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
05YELLOWSS said:
what I don't understand is why is this a big deal? Your saying you don't want the rpm's to hang high for your next shift for the most power when the cluth is let go in the next gear? I like it and it makes for smooth shifting in normal driving situations too...my 2 cents I guess
It sucks for when you are down shifting.

·
Registered
251 Posts
wasey13 said:
For me it doesn't because it means I can be lazy and don't have to bother rev matching on a downshift...just slip the clutch out and you're good to go :). I only do this when I KNOW the next gear is coming out at 3000RPM or less...anything above and I blip the gas to try to match (only been driving stick for 4 months so this can be a little rough sometimes :eek: ) but I figure at such low RPM I'm not doing much damage to my clutch by slipping it out until the tranny and engine are matched :).

Permafried-

·
Registered
385 Posts
wasey13 said:
how so? When you down shift you want the rpm's higher than they were. So if it lingers it is just that much more easier to do.

Sounds like all of you concentrate on your revs too much. Just feel the car and go :cool: I don't really pay attention to my revs while I drive whether I'm driving easy or hard. It is pbly due to the fact that my first car didn't have a tach, but I drive better because of it.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Harley said:
how so? When you down shift you want the rpm's higher than they were. So if it lingers it is just that much more easier to do.

Sounds like all of you concentrate on your revs too much. Just feel the car and go :cool: I don't really pay attention to my revs while I drive whether I'm driving easy or hard. It is pbly due to the fact that my first car didn't have a tach, but I drive better because of it.
Not if you slow way down(going around a corner), do you want your revs really high. When you down shift you want to go to a gear that will start at where you make the most power, close to the middle, not really high. With the revs just sitting there its hard to do that.

·
Registered
385 Posts
If you are slowing down you're revs will be around the middle at the time you are down shifting. I don't think it will make a difference. To slow down quickly you are going to want to shift into a gear that is in its upper RPM range too. That is where the most resistance is going to be. So realistically the higher the rpm the better when down shifting too. Wasey, reread my last post too. When you downshift no matter what the RPM will be higher than where you were. If it lingers it could make the transition smoother.

Like I said before seems like everyone here is putting a lot more effort into driving a manual than they need. The engine pretty much goes where you want it to if you know how to use the clutch.

Anyone who is trying to learn to drive a manual well; try launching the car without using any gas. This helps one feel how the clutch works better. Practice that and I guarentee you will be able to shift and start smoother.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Harley said:
If you are slowing down you're revs will be around the middle at the time you are down shifting. I don't think it will make a difference. To slow down quickly you are going to want to shift into a gear that is in its upper RPM range too. That is where the most resistance is going to be. So realistically the higher the rpm the better when down shifting too. Wasey, reread my last post too. When you downshift no matter what the RPM will be higher than where you were. If it lingers it could make the transition smoother.

Like I said before seems like everyone here is putting a lot more effort into driving a manual than they need. The engine pretty much goes where you want it to if you know how to use the clutch.

Anyone who is trying to learn to drive a manual well; try launching the car without using any gas. This helps one feel how the clutch works better. Practice that and I guarentee you will be able to shift and start smoother.
I know what you are saying, there are just a few situations that it sucks to have the RPMS sit there. And I agree about the clutch, and feeling, and so on. :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Harley said:
This is actually how both of my friends taught me on their standards. One was a hydraulic and the other cable...it gave me a much better feel for standard as well as how the clutch itself works. After 1.5 hours of driving stick I purchased my LS in standard and drove it off the lot one week later. Sure I stalled a few times in the first day but starting out with this as the first step definitely helped me along my way :).

Permafried-

·
Registered
385 Posts
wasey13 said:
I know what you are saying, there are just a few situations that it sucks to have the RPMS sit there. And I agree about the clutch, and feeling, and so on. :)
Aight I can take that haha. I just don't think its worth bitching about. And is only a problem when you drive like a grandma :eek: :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts