Cobalts SS banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

Well I went over to Circuit City today and got my Infinitys out of my Cadillac. I tossed them into my trunk of the Cobalt now. I'm going to wire them tomorrow hopefully. I had to slide them in through my back seat becasue of that damn tiny opening.

lol. My set up is this: 2 Infinity 10" subs, 1 Pioneer 800 watt mono-amp, and a universal sealed felt box. Everything is already wired to the amp becasue it was done before. I also bought a new wiring kit (for up to 1000 watts) and the converter for the back of my headunit.

So basically what I need to know is this:

- How do I disconnect the OEM Pioneer sub from the amp? I'm leaving the amp in there for the speakers. I pretty much know how to remove the sub, but how do I disconnect it?

- How do I remove the OEM headunit? I'm obviously gonna need to remove it to replace the wires wit hthe converter. Is that whole converter situation plug and play?

- Since the battery is in the trunk, I just connect everything up to that...right? Will I need to get the usual GM post adapter thingy?

- Will I need a capacitor? I needed one when they were in my Cadillac becasue it was pushing the Pioneer 200 watt player, all 4 aftermarket speakers, and my sub combo described above. My lights were dimming bad. I don't want the Cobalt to lose any more power than it has to...

I'm sure there's more...but that's good enough for my thoughts now. lol. I plan on doing this tomorrow...so if you have ANY info...PLEASE POST!!!

:)

·
Registered
306 Posts
I used to be all over the car audio scene, but I have no clue how to work on our cars, this new stuff confuses me hehe, I got the need for speed now so I am dropping weight instead of gaining it but I will try and look up a wiring diagram for you and post it up, good luck Though!!

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Does the Cobalt SS have one amp or two?? One for the other speakers and one for the sub? Or just one for all of them? That will help me answer a lot of the questions.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whoa, whoa. Hold up. lol. No thread jacking.

Anyways... I was told by someone else on the forum that the car has one amp powering the sub and the speakers. It's not a high output sub, so it doesn't need alot.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
averagewhiteboy said:
Whoa, whoa. Hold up. lol. No thread jacking.

Anyways... I was told by someone else on the forum that the car has one amp powering the sub and the speakers. It's not a high output sub, so it doesn't need alot.
Don't mind him, he lacks any class or intelligence.

Hmmm... Where is the amp located? Does the stock head unit have RCA plug-ins? You could probably save yourself A LOT of trouble getting an aftermarket head unit and wiring harness.

Also you shouldn't need a capacitor.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well if I wanted to get an aftermarket unit, I already have a Pioneer one...but we'll see how it sounds with just the adapter.

I'm not sure where the amp is. I'm sure it's in the trunk. That's where my moms OEM one, and my dads OEM ones were.

And no, the stock radio doesn't have RCA's. I got the adapter.

:)

I'm gonna do this today, so I'll fill you guys in. Perhaps a how-to sticky.

;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts