Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im new to this board i pick up my SS on Wednesday 5/18 and i was wondering if anyone knows 1/4 times of WRX's or EvO's. I know the SS is said to be 14.8 just wondering abour its competators.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Im sure you can find those times anywhere but here are some.
(0-60) / (1/4)
2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII 4.8 13.4
2004 Subaru WRX Sti 4.9 13.2
2005 Chevy Cobalt SS S/C 6.0 14.5 @ 98.2

A stock WRX can run anywhere between 13.9 - 15.0 depending on track conditions and driver skill, some people just can't drive.

Plus in my personal opinion only a wrx (not sti) would be a competitor for the SS, an evo would kill it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
p7x said:
Im sure you can find those times anywhere but here are some.
(0-60) / (1/4)
2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII 4.8 13.4
2004 Subaru WRX Sti 4.9 13.2
2005 Chevy Cobalt SS S/C 6.0 14.5 @ 98.2

A stock WRX can run anywhere between 13.9 - 15.0 depending on track conditions and driver skill, some people just can't drive.

Plus in my personal opinion only a wrx (not sti) would be a competitor for the SS, an evo would kill it.
First, I got my WRX wagon to run a 14.3 stock and I got my STI to go 13.2 stock. Now p7x is correct to say that the EVO would kill an SS, so be carefull if you race one :) My friend just got an SS Friday the 13th and I think it could run less then 14.5 with the right condititon and driver. Either way the SS is a nice car with a nice price tag ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
i have a stock ss and last night i raced a 2003 stock wrx and i beat him by atleast a car length 5 or 6 times in a row...on the other hand i got handled by an evo and an sti, but with a new pulley and some other shit it shouldnt be far off...

·
Registered
234 Posts
werdtourmoma said:
i have a stock ss and last night i raced a 2003 stock wrx and i beat him by atleast a car length 5 or 6 times in a row...on the other hand i got handled by an evo and an sti, but with a new pulley and some other shit it shouldnt be far off...

Sorry but hard to believe, but anything is possible. ie; bad driver!

·
Banned
200 Posts
WRX's arent top end machines with little pull up top. Those cars are all in the launch, which for alot of people can be tough given its real hard to spin the wheels, so you have to get it right or else it will bog. If SS's really can trap 98mph, then they have an advantage right there over the WRX, which is only good for mid 90's. So if he can drive his SS better than the WRX driver can drive his car, its definetely believeable.

·
Registered
29 Posts
put the diff in $$$ that you would have paid for an EVO or STI and the SS would whoop either... the SS is 25,500 fully loaded and the EVO and STI are over 30,000 drop 5k or so into an SS and you would cream an EVO or STI, the way I see it the SS has loads of potential

·
Registered
234 Posts
Chevy4Life85 said:
put the diff in $$$ that you would have paid for an EVO or STI and the SS would whoop either... the SS is 25,500 fully loaded and the EVO and STI are over 30,000 drop 5k or so into an SS and you would cream an EVO or STI, the way I see it the SS has loads of potential

Keep dreaming :D I know were you can get an 05' STI OTD for less then 29,000.

Look into what you get when you buy an STI, a cobalt would need like 2 or 3 grand just to have the same ability to stop :eek:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Chevy4Life85 said:
unless your paying cash for the car wich most people dont you don't have 5k laying around. Oh yeah wrx are slow from a roll and from a dead stop. ;)

·
Registered
259 Posts
28,450 is what i paid for my EVO...+ 4K IN MODS = 373 to the wheels
22,300 is what i paid for the WRX...+ 2 k in mods = 247 to the ground

and WRX's are slow from a roll and a stop.... with a bad driver... ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
20,000 for my WRX... 1,500 in mods... 600 of which are power mods. 13.9 @98 MPH (on my dead clutch) Im not making excuses, Im happy with what I ran... but I am hoping for at least a few thenths better now that I have a decent clutch. I am looking forward to seeing some Cobalts hawling balls though!!!!! :)

·
Banned
65 Posts
20995.00 for the srt4, 800.00for mpx3",1400.00for stage2, 200.00 for intake, 100.00 for shifter, whopping on everyone :D I come across priceless!!! Just kidding low 13s high 12s. It all depends on traction.

·
Registered
18 Posts
28K...your not talking about the MR..If I were to get an evo it would be an MR..Thats just me. To me that would be like buying a wrx instead of an sti even though there arent tons of differences between the different model evos. If I were to get an evo I would go all out with the MR.

PS: I hate the "I payed less for my car and could beat yours with 10k in mods"..We would all be driving crx's if that was the case hehe

·
Registered
291 Posts
Chevy4Life85 said:
yeah this line of thought never goes very far with me. I suppose I could buy a chevette for $500, spend the next 25,000 in mods and cream Cobalts!? See how retarded that argument can become.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Seanie719 said:
28K...your not talking about the MR..If I were to get an evo it would be an MR..Thats just me. To me that would be like buying a wrx instead of an sti even though there arent tons of differences between the different model evos. If I were to get an evo I would go all out with the MR.

PS: I hate the "I payed less for my car and could beat yours with 10k in mods"..We would all be driving crx's if that was the case hehe
a MR is really just a EVO with another gear. in 05 they all come with the same thing for the MR you're just paying for rims, bilstien shocks and a vortex generator... sorry but i can see spending a extra 3-4k for that..

oh and ps.... they still get put in the rearview by my regular EVO....

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Evo and Sti are NOT competitors for the SS. They would murder it. Also, to all the fanbois, please stop rambling about, "if you put this much $$$$ into this car, it will blow the doors off that car"

Seriously, it's very stupid, I didn't read ONE reply in this thread, but while scrolling down, I immediately saw the ignorance from SOME people. Others just stating facts.

Anyway, I'm out, peace!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Chevy4Life85 said:

Kinda sound like a ricer there. ;)

Anyways. I dont know much about the colbalt but I know for a fact STi's and EVO's have ALOT more potential. Its so easy to get power out of a turbo car. I dont know.. I seen a black SS over the weekend at a dealer and loved it. But didnt look like it had to much potential. Pulley changes look like a bitch.. not to much room unless you get it from the side. and it didnt look like you could go much smaller without a machined snout.

·
Banned
200 Posts
They have good potential after a $3k+ intercooled turbo system is installed. After you do all that though youre looking at atleast $25k for what, a 13 second, maaaybe 12 second car? No thanks, I'll take the WRX or even a used EVO. Hell I hate those cars so I'll take the LS1 f body please :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts