Cobalts SS banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My XM trial period is about to run out any day now. I already have a XM account (a skyfi at the office) and dont want to pay any more for the car account. Since my Skyfi can make use of a car kit I'm wondering if theres anyway to access the cable that comes from the XM antenna?

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
Its always possible to splice an antenna wire, but would probably be very difficult as the satellite radio antenna wires are very small. Depening on where your actual satelite unit is (not neccesarily behind radio but definitely could be) that is the easiest place to find it. But like I said, doable but difficult. But I DO think it would be worth it to not have ANOTHER antenna up there ya know?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Iroc said:
My XM trial period is about to run out any day now. I already have a XM account (a skyfi at the office) and dont want to pay any more for the car account. Since my Skyfi can make use of a car kit I'm wondering if theres anyway to access the cable that comes from the XM antenna?
I have been wondering the exact same thing. Living in Canada, I couldnt get XM installed into my Cobalt from the factory, but I have a SkyFi 2 and I would prefer to use the antenna that is already on the vehicle. I have OnStar so my antenna doubles as the new XM antenna, and I was told by my dealer that the wires for XM are there even though the vehicle doesnt actually have XM.

·
Registered
364 Posts
CadillacCTS said:
I have been wondering the exact same thing. Living in Canada, I couldnt get XM installed into my Cobalt from the factory, but I have a SkyFi 2 and I would prefer to use the antenna that is already on the vehicle. I have OnStar so my antenna doubles as the new XM antenna, and I was told by my dealer that the wires for XM are there even though the vehicle doesnt actually have XM.
thats weird they said it doubles as both antennas because those who have xm and onstar have two totally diff. antennas one in the middle front of roof and the other in the back part of the roof

·
Registered
32 Posts
Rocky said:
thats weird they said it doubles as both antennas because those who have xm and onstar have two totally diff. antennas one in the middle front of roof and the other in the back part of the roof
If you read the 2006 GM order guide for the Cobalt it says: "Common antenna for OnStar and XM Satellite Radio". I have a 2006 Cobalt SS and the new antenna is longer and flatter with a small fin shaped antenna on the top. It is located at the back of the car..... here is a picture of one....

·
Registered
364 Posts
CadillacCTS said:
If you read the 2006 GM order guide for the Cobalt it says: "Common antenna for OnStar and XM Satellite Radio". I have a 2006 Cobalt SS and the new antenna is longer and flatter with a small fin shaped antenna on the top. It is located at the back of the car..... here is a picture of one....

cool thanks i did not know that

1 - 6 of 6 Posts